X - Erik

I saw Cecilia teeter on the edge for a split second before falling over it with a shriek. I shouted and rushed towards the edge of the dock.

"No!" Meg shouted waving the gun in front of her. "You don't need to go after her... she will drown, you will have me. I will be here for you, I won't leave you."

It had to have been almost a minute. Cecilia couldn't hold her breath forever. "I will never love you, Meg. I am truly sorry. But, you will hate yourself if you let your sister die."

Meg's face paled beneath her blotched makeup. She screamed to the heavens and flung the gun up to her head. I lunged forward and moved the gun just as she pulled the trigger.

I didn't wait to see the damage. I flung the gun into the ocean and drove in to find Cecilia. I felt my mask slip away as I drove myself deeper into the dark depths. There was only dark murky green no Cecelia.

Until I saw a movement that couldn't be a tendril of seaweed. I lungs burned fiercely as I swam towards her.  Her face was so pale against the dark water. Her hair floated in a halo around her head, as if being pulled by an invisible force.

I wrapped my arm around her small waist and fought my way to the surface. My lungs strained as I finally broke the surface.

Please don't leave me. I can't live without you. Cecilia, my muse, my love, my life. Please. Please. Please.

I hauled her onto the dock and gasped for breath, collapsing on my back, my chest heaving. The world was muted, and muffled voices tried to communicate with me.

"Erik?" A panicked voice clearly cut through the buzzing silence. Cecilia.

I shakily sat myself up and surveyed everything. Everyone had moved away from us and were crowded around a figure down the dock.

My eyes locked on Cecilia, who was propped up on her elbows, her ink hair plastered to her face. "Erik?!" She said a bit louder, coughing roughly afterwards.

I swiftly pulled her into my arms. "I'm here," I said hoarsely. "It is okay, my love."

"Who is hurt?" She demanded, straining to stand up. "I can smell the blood, Erik. Don't tell me... Gusatve?"

I craned my neck and my gaze fell on a dark blue skirt. Christine.

The bullet had hit Christine.

"Gustave is not injured." I said carefully. I felt her relax an inch before stiffening again.

"Bring me over." She commanded me. I reluctantly helped her to her feet, recoiling at the sight of Christine.

Her once blue dress now had a terrible brown looking stain down the side. Through and through it seemed. Raoul was pressing against the wound, his hands stained red, as if trying to keep the blood from running away from its host.

Cecilia knelt down beside him and lifted a hand to grasp at anything. It fluttered in the air before clutching at Christine's skirt.

"Christine." She whispered to the dying woman. "I'm sorry. What can I do?"

"Cecilia," Christine gasped. "Cecilia. Gustave. Take care of-"

"Always, my friend." Cecilia interrupted.

"Raoul." Christine whispered, growing weaker by the minute. "Don't let him-" she groaned. "Don't... let him... take you... again."

Cecilia had tears leaking from her sealed eyelids. "Stay here, Christine. Stay here just a moment longer." I sunk down beside Cecelia and gathered her in my arms.

"Gustave," Christine whimpered, grasping his small hand in hers as he sobbed. Gustave's cheeks were stained red as he cried for his mother. "Gustave I have loved you more than this life. Stay with Cecilia and your father okay?"

"No, mama." He sobbed. "Mama, don't go. Mama don't leave us. Mama, stay. Mama please please don't go. I'll be good, I'll do what you say, but please don't go. Mama. Mama. Mama!"

He cried as Christine paid off the last debt of this cruel game called life. She could rest forever.

Cecilia immediately felt for Gustave and upon finding him, swept him into her arms and embraced him tightly, sheltering him from his mother's corpse.

Raoul cried and whispered sweet nothings into Christine's ear as he clung to her slowly cooling body.

"Father," Gustave called, reaching out for Raoul.

Raoul looked up at his son, similar pain reflected in their eyes. "Gustave." Raoul whispered. "You look so much like your mother." He muttered, tears trailing down his cheeks. Raoul turned around and started to walk away.

"Father!" Gustave shouted, running after him and grabbing his coat. "Father, where are you going?"

Raoul spun about, throwing the child off of him. "Do not follow me, you insolent child." He said lowly. "I don't deserve you or the pain you bring me." Gustave stumbled back a step as Raoul turned to my love. "Cecilia,"

Her head perked up as she directed her ears to Raoul. "What?" She spat.

"Take care of Gustave." He finished and strode away into a nearby alley. Abandoning his son with his wife's dead body.

"Father!" Gustave shouted into the mist and shadows, crying harder than before.

"Gustave," Cecilia whispered gently. "Gustave, come here."

I encased them both in my arms and sunk my head in between theirs.

"We will protect you, Gustave." I whispered as I felt myself shatter once more at the pain inside the young boy. "We will take care of you."

I promise.