The Lightning Struck Tower

Chapter Sixteen- The Lightning Struck Tower

Before the sun had even touched the frost-bitten grounds, Hermione was up and striding through the castle. The fever still clung to her, regrettably, in the stinging of her tired eyes and the running of her nose, but she felt better. She would be damned if she let a silly little cold keep her off school.

But before she could even think about her lessons, she had somewhere else to be. Walking as quickly as she could, Hermione wrenched her robes tighter around her body. Shirt stiff from the freezing air, toes aching from the cold of the castle, she kept walking. There was something she needed to do before the bell rang and the pressures of school could distract her. Her footsteps clattered with each step but she didn't concern herself with it, not slowing down or stopping until she came to stand before the gargoyles.

"Matchmakers," she announced.

The gargoyles sprung apart and Hermione waited for the staircase to appear before she stepped on it. When she got to the top, she knocked on the door to the Headmistress' office.

There was silence. She knocked again.

"Professor?"

The door cracked and then edged open. Hermione frowned, peering in. She couldn't see anyone so she pushed the door a little further, grappling wildly once she realised she'd pushed it a little bit too hard and it swung open all the way, clattering against the wall and echoing, leaving her standing dumbly in the doorway.

Well, it's open now, she thought. Hermione stepped inside the office, looking for her Headmistress.

"Professor McGonagall?" she tried again.

"I'm afraid she's not here, Miss Granger."

Hermione jumped, hand clutching her heart, spinning round. Dumbledore's eyes twinkled in amusement.

"Professor Dumbledore," she said, still a little breathless. "You startled me."

"So I noticed."

Hermione offered him a smile. Once her heart had climbed back down to its usual pace, she realised what he had said and frowned. "Do you know where Professor McGonagall might be?"

He folded his fingers together. "I'm afraid not," he replied. "Is there anything I can help with?"

"Oh," Hermione waved her hand in dismissal. "It's nothing important. I just wanted to thank her for what she did for Dr- Malfoy. He really appreciated it. I think he had a lovely day."

Dumbledore smiled genially. "I'm glad to hear it, Miss Granger.

She returned his smile. "Well, since Professor McGonagall isn't here, I suppose I should leave. Can you tell her I visited-?"

"Miss Granger," interrupted Dumbledore. "I trust you are aware that Mr Malfoy was sent to murder me in his Sixth Year here at Hogwarts."

Hermione's mouth dropped open. She stumbled, then stopped completely. "Yes but he didn't," she said hotly.

Dumbledore almost smiled. "It was not an accusation, Miss Granger. I wonder if you also know that it nearly broke the boy to even point his wand at me."

She didn't know what the former Headmaster was insinuating, and her eyes narrowed imperceptibly.

"That's because Draco Malfoy is no killer, sir."

He leaned forward slightly in his frame, glasses slipping further down his nose, eyes gleaming. "Exactly, Miss Granger. It was Severus Snape who cast the final curse, and only on my orders."