Nine

I stood alone in the ballroom, watching as those around me danced, conversed, and overall enjoyed their night. In the corners of the room, men in suits watched as the first night of the gala commenced- some of them were men I knew and others were not. Tom was dancing with Gilda for a song and my heart warmed seeing the two share expressions of joy. The Vicomte and Gregory spoke to another man, pointing at me as they did so. This must be the contact, I thought and I tore my gaze from them, not wanting to seem conspicuous.

    There was a tap on my shoulder and I knew it was the contact. Turning around, my face dropped when it was only Harrison. "You seem pleased to see me," Harrison said, holding his hand out as an offer to dance. "As much as I would love to step on your feet, I can't," I put his hand down, shaking my head, "I have to meet with the Vicomte's contact."

    Rather than walk away, Harrison grabbed my hand and swept me up into a dance. "I know," he said quietly as leant in to whisper in my ear, "And who do you think that is?" He pulled away and watched my face contort into horror with the realization. The contact was Harrison. The mole was Harrison. The man who I had witnessed get murdered in the alleyway was framed for Harrison's mistake, as was Javi. That's why he had called Tom about me, to cover up his tracks, to hide in the shadows.

    I felt something press against my stomach and I looked down and saw a gun. "Keep dancing, Andi," he warned, "Act normal." Swallowing the fear that was piling up inside me, I exhaled and kept my cool. I wanted to run and tell Tom that his best friend had betrayed him. I wanted to warn him that he could be dead at any moment because of Harrison's duplicity. But instead, I waltzed with the enemy.

    The moment we were swallowed by a group of aristocrats, Harrison stopped our dance, grabbed my wrist, and lead me out of the banquet. He dragged me into a darkened hallway and put the gun away. "I assume you're reasonable enough for me to not keep it out," he said. The hallway was vast, reminiscent of a dungeon when it wasn't lit. Marble pillars kept the ceiling above our heads and ancient paintings embellished the walls. Being in this hallway took me back in time, but with Harrison in front of me, leaning on a pillar, I didn't need to remind myself of the situation at hand.

    "Why?" was all I could get out. I was speechless and confused. How could he destroy all the trust and power he had gained by being with Tom for what? More money? A better position than advisor? "Power is an addictive drug, Reese," he shrugged, "Once you get a sample of something stronger, you want more of it. I was offered a better position: kill Tom and take his place." "But why the gala? Why now? You've had all this time alone with him and now you're going act?" I clenched my fists to keep them from shaking. If it were any other person as the contact I might've been calmer, but I was mad. I was so fucking mad that Harrison would do this. Not only to Tom, but to me. He was the reason I was in this fucking mess. He was the reason I might not live after the gala. He was the reason I had feelings for Tom.

    "Let me put this in terms of poker," Harrison started, "If I killed him last week, I would've had a two pair or three pair. It's good, but someone better could take control of the instability. Here, if I kill him, I have protection from his rivals. No one would be able to touch me. I would have a higher hand. It's a game, Andi, there are winners and losers of underground crime."

    "And what about me?" I asked, "What are you going to do with me?" "I thought about killing you, I really did," Harrison said, "But if I did that before Tom, all hell would break loose. I'm afraid he's taken a liking to you." "Then what are you going to do?" "I have eyes and ears all over the place. One word about this to Tom and you both will be dead and so will you brother, friend, and even that kindergarten brat that likes movies. No whispers, no sign language, no texts or calls," he held up my phone and I had never realized that he had nabbed it, "I own you now, Andi."