37.

Arriving home the next morning, Mason and Trent gave me strange looks but didn't ask any questions. Which probably worked out better for them because they wouldn't have to pay for a lifetime of therapy bills if I told them where I had been and what I had been doing. Lets just say that I hadn't known that Dean could even bend that way... But I got home and laid down on the couch, watching an old rerun of Pretty Little Liars when the two boys began fighting, and from the way of which they were speaking to each other, I put two and two together and realized that this wasn't the first argument they had had over the particular subject. 

From what I understood, when they weren't speaking in what seemed to be hunter lingo -- or code, they were fighting over a case that was based in Compton, Illinois, which was about three hours out of Chicago and they seemed to be having a Ghoul problem. Mason seemed to want to leave Chicago that morning but Trent was going out to see somebody or something and didn't want to leave until the next day, and in hunter talk, a day matters. Mason was fighting back that more innocent people could die if he didn't hurl his ass off of the couch and cancel his plans so they could go, and Trent being Trent, was not okay with that scenario. Usually, I would stay out of their fights about hunting, but seeing as I had been involved in a lot of damsel in distress hunting cases lately, I piped up and stuck my head over the back of the couch to look at Mason with a smirk on my face and a sparkle in my eyes.

"What?" Mason noticed my creepy smirk from where he was standing behind the kitchen bench while he yelled at Trent. The two boys paused in their who's the loudest match and Trent turned to look at me as I stared at the two, "Why are you looking at me like that?" I felt like Mason and I had grown apart lately, even though we seemed to be as close as ever. Maybe it was because he was on more cases than usual and was never home and when he was home, I was always off with Dean somewhere. Mason raised an eyebrow as he waited for my reply and I stayed silent for a minute as I sorted out my thoughts and wondered if my brother would actually go for what I was going to suggest. I knew any other time he would, but so soon after Dallas, the Crimson Plague and now Cora, I feel like he just wanted to keep my locked up tight and out of any sort of harms way.

"Well," I chewed over the words before I spat them out, "What if there's an alternative to your debacle? What if Trent could stay and go do whatever he needs to do, but you could leave today and not be alone?" Mason looked at me for a long time before he even did anything. His expression finally changed from blank and listening to mocking and unbelievable, at first I thought he was reacting the way I thought he might, but as he spoke I realized that he was reacting that way because he had gotten what I had said wrong. He was thinking something completely different to what I had meant when I had said he wouldn't have to go alone even if Trent stayed.

"Just because you and lover boy have sorted out your problems this time, doesn't mean I'm going to go on a hunt with a Winchester," He said, "I'm not suicidal," I rolled my eyes at the unnecessary add on my brother had said. Though I guessed he was right, any hunter that had worked with Sam and Dean Winchester had ended up dead and I wasn't about to put my brother in the firing line for something like that, even if Dean and I had admitted our love for one another.

"I didn't mean Dean, asshole," I said and Mason raised an eyebrow as he indicated for me to continue with my statement, "I meant me. I haven't been hunting in years, but I'm sure it won't be all that hard to fall back into the pattern of. I mean, I'm a hunters daughter. I still remember how to use a gun or cut off a Ghoul's head. I'm a Reed, I'm one of the best hunters of all times, right?" Again, I thought Mason was about to burst into laughter and tell me to go to my room or something, but he stayed silent and almost looked as if he was thinking about it. The corners of his lips pulled down as if he didn't like where this conversation was heading and I thought he was about to set me up for rejection when his words caught me by surprise. What he said made me smile, but I hadn't actually expected him to give in so easily, this was Mason Reed, my brother, the hard ass.

"Yeah," He said slowly, "Okay. Right, three or four years not hunting is nothing for the sixteen odd years you were... Alright, sis, I guess we have ourselves a case," Mason didn't even seem shitty about agreeing to take me to Compton, he actually sounded like he would be glad to have me along. And when his face broke out into a blinding smile, I knew he was feeling the same way I was. The both of us always loved hunting with Trent, but we were Reed's. We were always in this together, and going on a hunt, just the two of us, gave us feelings of much needed time away from everything and the fact that it would bring us back together after so long apart.

"Shit, Kale," Trent whistled, "Baby got back," I ignored the fact that he was watching me suggestively and instead continued to look at my brother.

"So when do you want to leave?" I asked him, a grin on my face. I had been saying for so long how much I really didn't want to kill monsters and how I wanted to get out of that life for good. But if my brother insisted on staying in it, and my boyfriend was a Winchester, there was no way I would be able to get out of this life now. And so I may as well stay in it and relearn everything I had forgotten over the years of having my hunting brain banged senseless after being an escort in a monster brothel. I could do this, I felt ready to do this. I knew I was strong enough now, I wasn't frail little Kale anymore, I was stronger. I was in love and I was ready to face the world.

Mason picked up a bag that must have been lying by his feet, "Right now. Get some clothes together, call lover boy, and meet me down by the car in fifteen minutes," And that was the end of the conversation. Mason nodded briskly at Trent in a manly farewell and walked out the front door of the apartment, leaving Trent and I to ourselves as I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. I could do this. And I was going to enjoy doing it.

"Be careful, okay?" Trent warned as I went to hurry to get some clothes and let Dean know I would be gone but not to worry because I would be with Mason, but Trent made me stop dead, "The game's harder than you remember," I knew he was just trying to look out for me, but his advice made me cringe, like he meant something super bad. I sent him a quick nod before hurrying on my way, my phone already at my ear and calling Dean as Trent's warning rang through my ears.

semi happy with this chapter, i hope you are too. i'm excited to write the upcoming chapters because i finally get to write some more sibling bonding between kale and mason and i get to show kale's darker side :) also comment on what you thought! i love to hear from you guys 

sneak peak: kale's a bit of a ruthless bitch when she's cutting things heads off.
update: possibly today but most likely sometime during the week.