A Universe of Lovers

"What the...how the hell did I end up here?" The costumed teen asked to particularly no one. After his many fruitless attempts at reaching out to Gwen Stacy, he had succeeded...while simultaneously failing at the same time. This place, the same place he'd teleported to to find it void of presence, did not give off her essence, which had attracted him to her to begin with. Clearly this was someone else's residence. With a whispered sigh Spider-Man began inspecting the place.

He seemed to have teleported himself to a New York apartment with white walls and brown wooden flooring. Nothing special, though the unnerving silence attracted fear towards him. Where were the inhabitants? His spider senses assured him of no eminent danger, although not so much on anyone's presence. Still, he rummaged through the white bulky refrigerator in the kitchen for a snack. 

An apple from an apple bag stashed in one of the kitchen cupboards caught his eye, and he grasped at it with care, so as to not make noise in case anyone was within the apartment's vicinity. Then, he removed his mask, and for a moment reverted back to being Miles Morales. 

As he indulged in the saccharine extract of the apple, Miles Morales happened to notice a creak, creak, creak in the floorboards, and so Miles Morales turned around to face a kid the same age as him, staring dumbfounded at the Afro-Latino teenager.

Or at Spider-Man. But what matter would it be? Spider-Man got caught. Miles Morales got caught. And they were both in big trouble.

The awkward silence that the teenagers radiated was just too much for Miles. He broke the ice. "Hey, these apples are good. Where you get them from?"

That was the best he could do at interrupting the silence.

Well, the other teenager, who Miles noticed had short hair that curled at the top, thin black spectacles, and naturally full lips, still kept his confounded expression. Finally, he spoke, albeit with an awkward tone. "Oh. My. God. Are you Miles Morales?"

"How you know me already? I don't even know you at all!"

"Wha-how? How are you in here of all places? Hi, I'm Edward! I'm, like, a fan of yours!"

"Hold up," disturbed Miles as he rhythmically rubbed the right temple of his head, "you mean to tell me that I have fans? Or Peter Parker's Spider-Man has fans?"

"No, your version of Spider-Man! They even made an animated film starring you." The lightly-skinned teenager without a name searched something up on his Android and shoved it in Miles' face. It was a Wikipedia page for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

"Damn," said Miles between reading excerpts of the page, clearly astonished, "I have fans. Just like Peter Parker." The thought of resuming the late Peter Parker's legacy respectfully made him feel good. He had managed to follow in Peter's footsteps, even garnering a fanbase as massive as the OG Spider-Man's. And he was face-to-face with a fan. Who was actually excited to meet him, see him, be with him...and who wasn't...

    ...well, so...

                        ...so good looking...

               ...no, no he wasn't, just okay looking, but...

                               ...he did have some defining muscles, and...

...and he got lost in his mind. 

What had he been thinking about before?

"Are you okay?" said Edward quizzically, snapping Miles back into reality.

"Yeah, man, I just...spaced out, I guess," dragged out Miles. "Didn't think anyone would ever look up to me. Thought Peter would always overshadow me. But it's nice to know that I have my own movie and following. Especially with fans like you who are, what's the word, devoted to me?"