The Dimensions Of A Self-Acceptance

Miles felt betrayed by his own emotions. Although he had been comfortable with his heterosexuality, even outright flaunting it to his ex-friend Edward in a blunt display of homophobia, now he began doubting it. His eyes sneaked peaks at a male model's defined six packs in a Calvin Klein advertisement and no longer seemed drawn by the voluptuous and curvaceous figures in yet another advertising tactic, this time in front of a Victoria's Secret. Girls no longer seemed interesting or sexy, but instead replaced with just plain or cute. Especially concerning was his dying crush for Gwen, who he had managed to reconnect with. 

When Miles mentioned his loss of attraction towards women to Gwen through his portal one day on the eve of a peach-scarlet horizon, she remarked very snidely, but obviously joking. 

"Seems to me like someone spends too much of their free-time swinging through New York City in that Spider-Man costume, and not enough time with actual people. Or perhaps you might be-"

"Don't say it. I know what you're gonna say."

"I do too, am I'm not gonna say. It's something else, I promise."

"Spill it then."

"Perhaps you might be-" Something about her smile seemed off. "You might be tir-GAY."

"I KNEW YOU WERE! I KNEW IT!" spouted Miles furiously while his "friend" snickered along. "You-you're playing with me. But no. I'm 100% straight as a line".

"Yep, and that magazine under your cover proves it. Uh-uh," jested Gwen, cracking up in disbelief at Miles' prominence. Miles turned to unearth the magazine with the shirtless, chiseled man on the cover; and so his cherry cola cheeks made another reappearance. 

"Ha ha ha, very funny," scowled Miles, picking up the magazine and wrinkling his nose at the sight of it, "but this isn't actually mine. It's Ganke's." He demonstrated it by throwing it at his roommate, which hit him in the head before it ebb and flowed to the floor. Ganke, who had been sporting his earbuds, carefully removed them to glare at Miles.

"Dude, why'd you hit me with your magazine?" he demanded, "I was just getting to the best part of 'Mo Bamba'".

"'Mo Bamba'? You listen to that trash?" argued Miles back, "'Sicko Mode's way better."

"Oh, so that is your magazine," Gwen reiterated, howling at Miles' inability to hide his sexuality.

"Yeah, and he hides a stash of them under-" explained Ganke, who was interrupted by an embarrassed Miles.

"Put on those damn earbuds, Ganke," fumed Miles. Ganke promptly responded with a shrug and absorbed himself in the music. He couldn't have cared less about Miles' homosexuality, just as long as they remained friends.

"I find it hilarious that you're denying your sexuality despite it being so obvious," noted Gwen with a sly smile, "Come on now, there's nothing wrong with being gay. I'll accept you for who you are, and your friend Ganke will too. Are your parents total homophobes or what?"

"It's not that," reconsidered Miles, "my mom loves me either way, although it would take my dad some time to accept the fact. My dad was okay with my uncle's bisexuality, rest in peace, so he'll come down to it."

"So...?"

"I...I can't accept myself as gay," lamented Miles, "I was sure I was into girls. Could it be a side effect of puberty?"

"Well, at least you finally nailed down puberty," assured Gwen.

"Seriously, though, all my life, I wanted a girlfriend. But now? I keep magazines with shirtless guys on the covers and find myself staring at guys. And it all started with Eddie. Oh, Eddie..."

"Sorry, man, I feel for you. But this sounds like something you should discuss your parents at length. I tried being of some help, but you obviously can't come to terms with your sexuality. Maybe your parents' acceptance will help you be more comfortable with being gay."

"Shit, you might be right," muttered Miles Morales. "Well, till I see you again, Spider-Gwen."

"I hope I never do," teased Spider-Gwen, now replaced by the dorm ceiling. Miles begin plotting his next move and, anxious but determined, headed out to his residence.

"I'm heading out to see the fam, Ganke. Peace." Miles extended his right hand above him to form the peace sign. Ganke gave in return a peace sign of his own, not looking up from his computer once.

Miles took off towards his house, only stopping one time to examine the exact same Calvin Klein billboard advertisement with the shirtless male model and his perfect six-pack abs. 

This time, he had no shame to ogle it.

"He sure is packing something," thought Miles out loud to himself.

Of course, his heart was reserved for only one person.

Just one.