Chapter 20

I keep walking and don't look back no matter how much I want too - I'm afraid that I do, I'll see his beautiful blue eyes and wild brown curls and break down. I can't let myself do that. I need to stay strong. I can't let anyone see me cry.

I head up to the roof of the building where I know that Lucy will be. I can't help but wonder if Shane will be there, too. I heard that him and Lucy are dating now, but I don't think they love each other. Atleast, I hope they don't love each other with what I'm about to do. I wonder what would have happened if Lucy hadn't came to town and drove a wedge between Shane and I, would we have gotten married? Or would we have broken up eventually anyway? Would I still have fell for Myrnin? I sigh, telling myself that at least one good thing came from Lucy coming to Morganville: I got to spend more time with that curly-haired, crazy vampire scientist that I love so much.

Surely a short amount of time is better than no time at all isn't it?

I stand at the edge of the roof, scanning across some sign of Lucy. The place is packed, which I'm not happy about. I don't want so many people to have to watch me die, I guess. But it's now or never, and I have an obligation to those that I love to choose now.

I see that familiar blur of blonde before I see her face, she's deep in conversation with Monica and the Monickettes and I check the front of my wings to make sure that I still have the knife with me. It's still there. With that knowledge I plunge forwards towards Lucy. She see's me coming, excuses herself and meets me half-way.

Lucy stands intimidatingly close to me and growls angrily, "What do you want, Clarissa," She spits my name, as if even the thought of saying them physically hurts her.

"I want a lot of things, dear Lucinda," I smile manically, mimicing our conversation in the Common grounds all that time ago. That seems like a lifetime away now, but in reality, it was only a few weeks ago. Back then, I was still dating Shane and none of this crap that I have now existed. I was happy. Thinking about how everything changed after Lucy was here made me only more sure that this is what I wanted, "I want a million dollars, I want an Aston Martin, I want to marry Prince William but it's not happening,"

She almost looks shocked until she picks up on the fact that I'm copying her exact words, she turns to me, "I'm a devil Claire, not a wish granting factory,". I'm momentarily confused until I really that she's dressed as a devil, complete with a pitchfork and everything. Her bright red, leather dress is skin tight and her heels might as well be skyscrapers.

"I just want to know that you did it," I hear myself growl venomously, closing my eyes while I spoke, "I need to hear you say it,"

"I did what?" She asks mockingly. She raises an eyebrow and I want to punch her in the face. She's knows full well what she did! I look around and there's nobody next to us anymore. Instead, they've all formed a circle around us, watching as we argue. In the circle, I see Amelie nodding at me. I get a small flashback when I look to my right and see Aleksander holding Florian back. Michael, Eve and Shane are on the front row, staring at Lucy and I. Shane has a smug look on his face and I fear a spike of anger. Then I see Myrnin trying to push through, to get to me before either of us do something dangerous. It only reminds me that I have to be quick, before any one can stop me or change my mind.

As my mind is filled with memories of Myrnin, I feel my power tickle my inside. It feels like a volcano ready to erupt and it starts raining to reflect my feelings. Thunder and lightening flash on and off in the horizon as Lucy, myself, and the crowd start to get soaked in the rain. I hear Myrnin calling my name but I tune him out, wiping the wet hair away from my face and turning back to Lucy. I half expect the crowd around us to fade away, considering it's raining, but I guess our little arguement is intresting enough that people don't mind being dripping wet today and sick with a cold tomorrow.

"You told the coven where I was going, didn't you?" I half-ask, half-tell, hearing my voice breaking a little as I'm reminded of that day, "On the day of the harvest, you told the witches to kill me so you could get my power,"

"I did," Lucy says unemotionally, before taking on a sadder side "But I didn't expect Annie to be with you,"

"Why? You're my big sister, I trusted you. I've always looked up to you and you betrayed us. I loved you Lucy, how could you do that to me? To us?" I know I sound crazy now, but I let the tears flow free anyway. What did it matter in the end?

"I'm sorry," Lucy blurts, tearing streaming down her face, "I swear I didn't mean any of it, and I'd take it back in a second,"

I pull her in for a hug as she sobs into my shoulder. As we connect, I know she's lying. She's dark now. She doesn't mean a word of this, she's just trying to save her own skin. I catch Amelie's confused stare and nod at her. I push Lucy out of the hug and smile at her. I almost let her go. Well, I don't, but she thinks I will. I see the evil start of a smirk on her face. She thinks she's gotten away with it. She hasn't.

I pull the knife from my wings and I see her shock as she sees it. I lift it up and start to pull it back down. I watch as Lucy's face contorts from a smirk to a look of pure horror.

1.

2.

3,

I push the knife into my chest.

---

Were you guys expect Claire to kill herself? Please review! :)