Backstory

Backstory
Natasha Romanoff was born to the Romanov family in 1984, under the name Natalia Alianovna Romanov. After a tragic Fire that burnt down her mansion, taking the lives of her parents and siblings, she was put under the care of Ivan Petrovitch who saved her from death. He raised her as his own, eventually bringing her to the red room [a top secret Soviet brainwashing and training program which takes young women and turns them into the world's deadliest and most elite assassins] where She quickly became regarded as one of the best students of the program.
When the time came for her to go through the graduation ceremony, Natasha pretended to fail in her physical exams, but Madame B. [her  supervisor] realized that she was faking so she made her go through it anyway. During her time as a master spy and assassin, she earnt the code name 'Black Widow' due to her ruthless effectiveness.
Because of her growing threat to global security, Romanoff was quickly noticed by S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Director Nick Fury, who sent Agent Clint Barton [Hawkeye] to eliminate her; However he disobeyed the order, and instead recommended that she be recruited for S.H.I.E.L.D.
With the support of Director Fury, Romanoff later defected from Russia and joined the ranks of S.H.I.E.L.D. and later on the superhero team, the Avengers.