preface

She met him when she was 5 years old.

He met her when he was 6 years old. 

They were born in the same year: 1998. But they were born in different months with her being in late December and him being in early August. 

It was just the beginning of spring when they first met, both bashful and fairly conscientious at their age. 

"Is this swing taken?" he asked and she simply just shook her head no. 

"I'm Shawn," he squeaked out as he tried his best to get onto the swing. It wiggled around every time he attempted to sit on it. However, she merely just stared at his struggle, more shy than him to introduce herself. She has never spoken to a boy before and it terrified her. 

As soon as he was able to sit himself on the swing, she left the swing set, afraid he might attempt to talk to her again. Shawn's little face melted into a puddle of hurt as he saw her skip toward the monkey bars, her pigtails bouncing joyously. 

***

She knew that boy from yesterday would be back, but she insisted on going to her favorite park anyway. And as she guessed correctly, he was there, sitting in the same swing from yesterday. She took the swing next to his with as much courage as she could muster.

"I'm Kara," she said softly, hoping he wouldn't find her name odd or anything. Instead, she looked up at him and his toothy grin. 

***

She was 16 years old.

He was 17 years old. 

They were sitting at an old swing set in their favorite, childhood playground. They outgrew the swings, but still sat there with reminiscence and happiness. 

"Remember when we used to come here everyday?" Shawn said with a small grin. His nose and cheeks were flushed and his brown curls came down gently around his forehead. She admired this view of him, wishing she could stare at him for infinity. She was too occupied that she didn't hear his question. 

"Kara?" 

"Hmm?" she hummed, looking at the same boy who gave her heart palpitations throughout her childhood and even now. 

"You alright there?" He steadied himself on the swing, loud creaking noises echoing the morning air. 

"Yeah. I'm just admiring you," she giggled, the apples of her cheeks turning red not just from the cold. 

"I think you're gorgeous too," he smiled, reaching for her hand. 

***

That happened 3 years ago. 

Today, they are merely strangers. 

soooo i'm finally back after like a year or two. so this isn't at all 5sos related but i still hope you like shawn mendes and all.

and i hope you liked this "first" chapter :)