Gonna Need A Spark To Ignite

You brisk-walked towards your house, feeling the irony between the awfully nice weather compared to what kind of a day you had. You took some slow but heavy deep breaths, and with all your might you prevent the tears from escaping and falling down your face. The metal gate creaked as you open them, still keeping your head down as you closed it back.

Out of the corner of your eyes you noticed a van - weathered and old where its the kind of vehicle you saw in an 80's movie - followed by a U-Haul truck pulling up by the house on the other side of the street.

You can't help but subtly watch for a moment, making sure as possible that the bangs of your raven hair masks your wandering eyes to the new settlers. A bald and large-looking, middle-aged man exited the driver's seat before the passenger door opened to reveal a five-foot two teenager whose hair is in shades of dirty blonde in the best way. She's wearing a grey backpack that has "Harry Potter" written on it.

The girl has her back turned at you and you can tell she was studying the exterior of her new house on the way she tilts her head a little - it was a two-storey yellow house that has a small balcony on the second floor and a fence that marks its territory.

Clutching onto the straps of her backpack, she slowly turns around revealing her face to you for the first time. Her eyes scanning the whole neighborhood before it lands on you, offering a warm but shy smile to your direction.

For a second, you don't really mind how awfully nice the weather is because it only suits the girl whose height was only an inch smaller than yours. You almost felt your lips tugging to return the smile when -

"Carmilla!!!"

You reluctantly break the eye contact at the sound of your name and quickly scrambled to get inside your house, slightly chastising yourself for staying out too long.

/-/-/-/

The joints and muscles in your body popped and flexed as you stretched out from reading on your back. You scanned the page to continue the tragic love story of Orpheus and Eurydice once you're comfortable and settled to your new reading position.

A knock on your bedroom door made you grumble as you call out for the person to come in. Mattie, a black woman and also known as your adopted older sister sauntered into your room.

"The dinner is in the fridge, just reheat it in the microwave or something," you said nonchalantly as she plops down on your bed that is covered in black sheet designed of ominous eyes and fangs print that you suppose belongs either to a cat or a bat. "And before you ask, yes I already had mine," you added.

You felt Mattie rolled her eyes and gets up. "Don't forget you'll have to clean the garden. I'll have to work on a double shift tomorrow," an exasperated sigh escaped her lips.

You didn't bother to ask about it because you already know what it meant. She'll be leaving the house earlier than usual and she's certainly going to be home after midnight. It helps on increasing her paycheck. You just wished you were legal enough to actually make yourself a real money.

Mattie leaned down to kiss your forehead and bid you goodnight before exiting your room. You stared back at the pages of Orpheus devastatingly playing his harp as he mourns for losing Eurydice once again. After a few minutes you finally gave up feeling your eyes had enough, momentarily reminding that soon you'll be needing reading glasses. You turned off the lamp that was the only source of light in your room and welcomed the evening light pouring itself all over your room.

You're really thankful that your mother at least gave you the room with a giant window that lets you go stargazing at night in your own bed.

/-/-/-/