A New Year's Party

-Michael's PoV-

Michael turned the key in his car and the engine responded quickly making him smile. Jeremy, in the passenger's seat, was typing on his phone. Again. He'd been on his phone much more than usual, who was he texting?

He'd asked, but Jeremy only gave him a reply of "Jake and Jenna and Christine." Who he texted sometimes, but never this much, especially not after Christine and Jeremy broke up. And on top of that, he had just been very quiet and just distant.

Michael was concerned and now they were headed to the New Year's party at Jake's house. He sighed and spoke up, "Jeremy," he tried. No response from the boy. "Jeremy," he said again, raising his voice.

This time Jeremy only 'hmmed' in reply. Michael sighed in aggravation and hit the brakes a little harder than he should have as he parked in front of Jake's driveway.

"Michael!" Jeremy complained as he was thrown forward and cast him an annoyed look.

"Oh shut it, Jerimiah." He snapped, "what the hell is up with you?!"

Jeremy looked panicked for a moment before cocking his head to the side, "I-I don't know what you're talking about, Micah. I-"

"Don't try to pull that crap on me, what are you not telling me?" Michael crossed his arms.

"Nothing! I-I promise!"

"Obviously there's something! You're stuttering."

"I-I am not- goddammit! Y-you know what I don't have to tell you anything M-Michael! Bye!" Jeremy tried to open the door, but Michael locked it.

"Stop it, this is so immature-"

"I-i-immature? You are the immature one! You-"

"You know what, Jeremy? I'm done. I'm not getting in another fight with you. Find yourself another ride home." Michael growled, got out of the car, and then slammed the door.

"Micha-" he ignored Jeremy's call and made his way to the front door, knocking on it.

Rich opened it and smirked up at him, "Michael, sup man! Common in! Where's Jeremy?"

He walked in, plastering a fake grin to his face. "Oh, he's in the car. Now where's the food table, I'm starving!"

Rich smiled back at him, "Yo Jakey-D! Show Michael to the snacks will ya? I'll go get Jeremy." Rich walked out the door while Jake grabbed Michael's arm.

"It's this way man," Jake told him and Michael followed behind him and quickly started filling up a plate with food. Another party, another fight with Jeremy. Bathroom here I come.

-

Michael Mell sat in the bathroom with a bag of Doritos and three bottles of alcohol. A knock on the door made him look up.

"Michael, let me in," Jeremy's voice pleaded.

"Go away, Jeremy." He said back.

"Let me in! I-I-I'm sorry! Please! Michael, please!"

"Fine!" He snapped and climbed out of the bathtub, unlocking the door and opening it. Jeremy stood there, a tear wetting his left cheek as he threw his arms around Michael.

"I'm so sorry! I-I-"

"It's okay," he replied, fighting off a bit of rage, "Jeremy, it's okay. I shouldn't have gotten so mad. I-I was just confused. Listen-" he pulled away to meet Jeremy's gaze. "What is going on? You can tell me. Just, please, stop ignoring me. Are- are you okay?"

Jeremy was now shaking in front of him, he grabbed Michael's hand. "Come with m-me." Michael nodded and allowed his friend to pull him towards the front door.

They stood outside and Michael stared up at the stars shining in the sky. "Michael," Jeremy said quietly grasping his hand. He looked over at his friend and met his steady gaze. "Y-you want to know w-w-why I've been acting so w-weird lately?"

Michael gave a simple nod, too entranced by the stars dancing in Jeremy's blue eyes to muster more than that. "I-I- um, I- Michael, I was w-wondering if you- I just- Michael, I have a- no, I-I-I'm- no-" Jeremy covered his face with his hands.

Michael's eyes widened. "Jere?" He said gently.

"I- I like you, okay? Like like like you. Like a-a lot. I-I think I might be in love with you Michael." The curly-haired boy took in a deep breath and met Michael's calm gaze. "I am in love with you and this sounds super cheesy and I'm sorry, but- w-will you think about going o-out on a date with me?"

Michael stood there silently watching Jeremy intently. "Please?" He added quietly. And the older boy smiled and nodded taking his old friend into his arms.

"You know, you had me worried for a second there," Michael murmured, quietly laughing and he could feel Jeremy smile against his skin.

"You were? About what?"

"I thought you were going to say something upsetting," he replied, "but instead you've made this entire year worth it."

Aweeeeee, my heart. I thought this was pretty cute, sorry it's so short! I hope you all enjoyed! Thank you for all the support!

Word Count: 792