Chapter 2

Me and dad kept our eyes on the clock and switched the TV off because we didn't want to hear the announcement for the purge.

We knew it started at 11pm and that was all that mattered.

10:55pm.

I quickly rushed upstairs and grabbed some torches before switching off all the lights upstairs and then switching off the ones downstairs.

"It's best to be in a dark house than a bright house that way we wouldn't be noticed," I explained to dad as he nodded before giving my shoulder a squeeze.

"Your very smart Skylar."

I shook my head at this. I didn't think I was smart I was just trying to compensate because I knew dad couldn't afford good security.

I handed my dad a torch before leaving him alone in the living room. I checked around the house again.

I went and opened the basment door before walking into the darkness. I put the light on before looking around the place.

After me and dad have dinner its best we hide inside here I thought.

When I came up from the basement dad came over and hugged me tightly.

"It's been two minutes."

"Two minutes of what?"

"Since the purge started," Dad answered making me let out a sigh.

"Should we go eat something now?"

"Yes."

We went into the kitchen and grabbed some sandwiches dad managed to buy in tesco earlier on.

We took the sandwiches with us to the basement before sitting ourselves down on the cold ground.

My phone vibrated causing me to take it out of my pocket.

It was Matt.

I am in McDonald's waiting for the perfect time!

I rolled my eyes as I typed up a message to send to him:

Don't get yourself killed.

"Who are you messaging?" Dad asked quietly.

"Matt. He is planning on raiding McDonald's," I said causing dad to frown.

"That is dangerous," Dad said sadly.

"Yes it is. It seems fun but it's going to end horribly."

"Hmm."

"Let's hope he survives this," I put my phone in my pocket before leaning against the rough wall.

We didn't say much after we finished our food. I would occasionally check the basement door to make sure that it is secured and locked.

"I think we should put the lights out in here too." Dad suggested.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I feel safer in the dark and besides we have our touches."

"I guess we can use the torches as it is dim."

Before putting out the light I looked around the basement only to see that our swords aren't here.

"I think we forget them in the living room," I said with a groan.

"Forgot what?"

"Our swords."

Dad immediately stood up before  making his way to the door.

"No it's okay dad I will get it. You wait here. I won't take long." I gave him a reassuring smile before climbing up the stairs and opening the door.

I walked quickly to the living room only to see that the swords weren't on the table.

Instead was three green squares.

Where are our swords?

Did someone break in?

Wow.

I always imagined surviving the purge for over an hour not less.

Fear shook me as I quickly walked to the front door only to see it in tact. The couch was still in place and the door wasn't opened or unlocked.

The torch I was using was starting to flicker making me feel worried.

I rushed to each room upstairs as I briefly putting on the light to check for anything unusual before turning the light off and leaving.

No window was open.

Nothing was unusual.

I went back into the living room and looked around a bit when I noticed the family picture. It was my dad and me only my dad's face had a cross on it and my face had tiny writing on it which wasn't readable.

I rushed out and quickly opened the basement door and ran down the stairs.

"Dad can you believe our swords are-"

I looked to see dad was gone.

He wasn't here.

His torch rested on the small wooden table in the corner causing the room to be fairly bright.

"Dad where are you?" I walked towards the torch before grabbing it.

"Dad!"

I left the basement as my body stared to shake. What do I do?

"Dad where-"

A hand quickly slapped over my mouth making me completely freeze in fear. It was then that I realised that the person had one of our swords against my throat.

"Let's not a lot of noise. Your going to need your voice for tonight."