002.

SOUTHERN FRANCE 1002AD

Finn was fed up with his siblings. They made no attempts to control their hunger, choosing instead to drain and kill any traveller they came upon. And now, their lack of restraint and foolish ambitions had them playing French Lords. The eldest Mikaelson did not approve of their murderous habits, but he knew that leaving a servant alive and dressing up to play out a childish fantasy was a certain way to attract their Father's attention. As much as Finn wished for a bed, some food and a bath, this was not how he had imagined getting it. When Finn had cast his vote to leave the servant alive and to stay at the castle, perhaps he had not fully registered the lies they would have to devote themselves to.

Yet there they were, stood before a Count wearing costumes pulled from Noble corpses. Lucien prattled on, sprouting advice on how to approach the Count and how to act. Finn payed little attention, forgetting himself and marvelling at the grandeur of the castle. Few words were exchanged between the eldest son and anyone else, for Elijah and Niklaus fell quickly into the role of young noblemen who successfully charmed their company.

Finn stood alone, watching his siblings exchange words with other Nobles. One or two Lords approached him, but his manner assured them that their presence was unwanted. Still, Finn was content by himself. Kol had taken to flattering young women, no doubt trying to secure himself some fun and a feast for later; Rebekah conversed with a few handsome Noblemen who, almost certainly, paid more attention to her cleavage than the words she spoke; Elijah was flattering the Count de Martel, praising anything that fell from the man's lips in an attempt to gain his favour; and Niklaus occupied himself with questioning the servant, Lucien, and gazing at the Lady Aurora. The eldest Mikaelson sighed to himself, knowing already that his siblings would get too attached to their temporary home.

Finally, the socialising came to an end and the feast began. Each of the Mikaelsons stared at the food covering the tables, forcing themselves not abandon etiquette and dig in like pigs. The amount of restraint used by the five of them, some more than others, was remarkable but they still ate until they could eat no more. For a moment, Finn could even say he enjoyed their company (even if there was some scolding necessary). They felt like a family again - or at least he did.
Kol felt as he always did, as if were merely an inconvenience to his siblings, whilst Niklaus and Rebekah were preoccupied with the magnificence of the event. But surely Elijah, with his content smiles, felt that familiarity of brotherhood? As if their Father had stopped his hunting of them as they dined in the castle.

It was certain now, fate would have them make this castle their home, and would make their eventual departure hurt far more for it.

The Count's son stood to address the court and announce the evenings entertainment. Usually, after dinner entertainment would not warrant Finn's attention but the way it was presented had managed to catch his interest. Apparently, the description had also captured the attention of everyone else in the hall, including his younger siblings. "My Father, the Count de Martel, caught this abomination on one of his many hunting adventures - a humanoid creature burnt with hellfire that has left it deformed, a creature so hideous that even the Devil could not let it stay in the Underworld."

The Mikaelson siblings straightened in alarm. Could it be another creature like them? Could it be that they were not alone? Rebekah grasped her brother's sleeve, whispering in horror as a cage was wheeled out and a man pulled from it. "Nik?"

Niklaus took her hand in his, but had no words of comfort as he didn't understand either. Gasps filled the room as the grotesque figure was revealed. Even the stoic elder brothers took a sharp intake of breath, not in fear, but in shock. The man was pushed over by his supervisor, head colliding with the floor and causing a loud cracking sound to enter their supernatural senses. To assure the crowd that there was nothing to fear, the handler beat the beast. Bruised and bleeding, the man crawled along the floor as if he lacked the will to get up, rather than the strength.

Finn locked eyes with the prisoner for a moment, dark eyes piercing his soul. Finn was certain he had never seen someone look so empty - so utterly hopeless. Even when Mikael had beaten Niklaus, you could see the fear and the pain on his features, Niklaus' eyes would always beg for help. But this man? He was completely blank, and that made it so much more tragic.

The 'beast' on the floor was dragged backwards, towards the centre of the hall. Laughter and cheering filled the room, but the Mikaelsons noticed nothing but the man on the floor. Rebekah's grip on Nik tightened, knowing the memories of their Father would have resurfaced in his mind. Elijah spared a glance of worry to his half-brother, but could not tear his eyes from the man for long.
God, it was horrific what they did to him. How he was dragged and beaten. The family quickly put on a marble facade so they wouldn't expose themselves.

Finn watched carefully, and the man watched him back as he writhed on the cold stone. It was then, staring into the empty eyes of a stranger, Finn made a silent vow to never make another person into the monsters the great hall had filled with.

*****
952 words

I made some graphics for this fic 'cause I'm sad so I might add those later.