Listen

"Mom! Dad! There's a new one in the ocean! Come! There's a new one! I can have a friend!"

"Sweetheart, that's not -"

"Mom... Dad... Help... "

"Son?" "SON!"

I can't remember more from that day. My son was eager to get a new friend and the next thing I see is him struggling to breathe. I screamed after him, I swam as fast as I could to help... But he was already dead. Already on his way to heaven.

At that time, I didn't know what it was. I just knew it wasn't one of us. And then it was more than that. It was a danger. A danger that's apparently called plastic. It was created by a species that lives on the surface. A species called... humans?

Since the day my son died because of it, plastic began to increase, toxins began to increase...

But our lives? They've been decreasing ever since.

When I was younger, my family would take me on trips through the ocean. We would see the corals, the sponges, the seaweed, the other fishes (Did you know there are over 33 thousands species of us?)...

Everything was so fascinating that I couldn't wait to have my own child to show him the beauty of it, of our home.

And now, everything's lost. For forever.

"Dad! Look what I found! Look at it! It's a fish! Look how beautiful it is!"

I'm getting out of my trance to see a small something and a bigger something.

"Lily, we should get going. The restaurant closes at 4."

They seem to be of the same species...

"But can't we wait a bit longer? I don't want to leave it,"

They're humans, aren't they?

"Lily!"

The little human puts on a sad smile: "I'm sorry, but I have to leave. I'll come back later. I promise."

***
"Hey! Here you are! I can't believe you've stayed. Thanks!" The girl from before tells me with sparkly eyes and a smile that reaches her mouth.

"No problem... I guess..."

"You can speak! That's so cool! What else can you do? Wait! No! Better! How's living in the ocean?"

Can she, please, stop screaming? It's so uncomfortable...

"It's nice. Actually, it used to be nice. How's the earth?"

Her smile faltered and a confused and sad look arrived on her face.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Your plastic. It kills our people. They eat it accidentally or they get stuck in it or they can't survive the toxins it emits..."

"Really? I've always noticed plastic on the beaches or in the water, but I've never thought it's that bad... I... I'm sorry." She seems bothered. "There has to be a solution. What could I do?"

"Maybe tell others? Replace plastic things with what you used to use? Find alternatives for the others?"

"Government! I think demanding them would help too. I can't wait to tell dad! Thanks! I'll try to help you. I promise."

I can't not smile.

"No, I should thank you."