Chapter 1

Sophie sat at the table looking through some of Howl's spell books.Ever since she lived here, She found herself more interested in magic than ever. At first, she wanted nothing to do with witches and spells. But eventually she started liking it. When she ran out of books, she would read Howl's spell books. He still didn't know she did.

Sophie glanced at the candle to make sure it wasn't going out. Calcifer was inside but his light wasn't enough. She turned the page. It echoed in the quiet house.

"Sophie." Calcifer complained from his hearth. "Could you please be a little quieter? I'm trying to sleep."

Sophie turned around in her chair to face him, "I'm sorry, Calcifer," she whispered, "these books are just so fascinating."

"Try not to damage the books...Howl would be so mad. It would be worse than time you mixed up his magic potions in the bathroom..." He warned before closing his eyes again.

Sophie stared at Calcifer for a second before slowly turning back around. 'Would it really be that bad?' She thought, 'No, of course it would. Howl has had these books since he was a child. They're probably the most important thing in the world to him.'

She kept on reading, the fire dying as the hours passed by. Sophie's eyes started to feel heavy. She lied her head down on the book and closed her eyes. "I'll just rest my eyes for a few minutes..." She told herself before falling asleep.

"Oh, man, Sophie please don't drool on his books." Calcifer begged, but it was too late, she was already asleep.

Foot steps came from the stairs. Howl slowly made his way down the stairs. He stopped at the landing. He noticed Sophie sleeping.

"How long has she been asleep?" He whispered to Calcifer.

"Not long." He replied.

Howl stared at her for a minute before realizing she was lying on one of his spell books.

He turned to Calcifer. His expression had changed. You could tell he wasn't very happy. "Did you tell her where to find this?" He asked refuting to the book.

"No, I swear! She found them on her own." He quickly regretted saying "them" Instead of "it". But Howl didn't say anything about it.

Howl looked back at Sophie peacefully sleeping. 'Where could she have found them?' He wondered. He would ask her in the morning. He picked her up bridal style careful not to wake her.

"I'm going to take her back up stairs." He told Calcifer before making his way up the stairs with Sophie in his arms.

"Yeah, goodnight to you, too." Calcifer said sarcastically.

He walked down the hallway slowly, making his way to his room. Luckily the door to his room was open just a little. He kicked the door open more and walked in. He then closed the door with his door. Sophie tilted her head closer to him. Howl smiled and walked over to his bed, setting her down gently. Thankfully, she didn't wake up. Howl walked over to the other side. He climbed into the bed, pulling the covers over the both of them.