58| Moving Up

Jessie

"Is there a good reason you drug me here today" I ask Jonathan as we walk into the UC. It's not that I didn't want to be here with him but the weather was nice for once and I would love to have our meeting outside.

"It's a pretty great one" he claims as I follow him around. He was the only one who knew what we were doing here after all.

"Can you tell me what this is about? I have a lot of things to do today and watching you skate wasn't one of them" I insist.

"We're not here for me. There's someone here who wants to meet with you" he claims and I raise a eyebrow.

"They do" I ask.

"Yeah. You've talked to him before, you know of him but haven't officially met yet" he claims.

"Is is another player to work with" I wonder.

"Not exactly" he says.

We end up in a office at the highest point in the building. He lets me in the door and he follows behind me. When we get into the office I see a man behind a desk waiting for me. He smiles once I arrive and motions for me to sit in a seat across from him. I happily do and Jon sits in the chair next to mine.

"Hello Miss Jessica, I don't believe we've formally met, but I'm Rod Thompson and I'm the person who initially contacted you about working with Corey" he explains.

"I don't believe we have officially met" I admit.

"Well it's nice to finally meet you. I've heard nothing but the greatest things" he claims.

"Is that why I'm here today? Because Jonathan wouldn't tell me" I insist and he laughs.

"That's part of the reason why you're here today.

In whole I had him bring you in to offer you a permanent job here with the Blackhawks. So instead of working out of your agency you'll be working here" he explains and I gasp.

"Seriously" I ask as he nods his head.

"Jonathan has been begging us to make some room for you, to bring you in to help the players whenever they needed it. Corey's case was special where we needed the focus to be on him but we don't need that anymore. And if two of our biggest pieces in this organization say that you're bringing something to their life that makes it better then we would love to spread the wealth" he explains.

"Would I just work with all the players or the ones who need help" I question.

"Whatever you feel like you need to do. If you feel like there's someone who needs a life coach then we want you to be the person there to help them. But also be around for whenever someone's life gets messed up and they need a brain to pick. Apparently your brain is the best around from what I heard" he claims.

"I'm no sports therapist" I insist.

"We understand that, but this is a game of life, not hockey. And you have a understanding of this life like no others, I know that there's no other like you and it would be a honor to have you a part of this family" he insists.

"And Corey..." I trail off.

"You can still be with him, you would be issued a new contract stating that you can be together with him. And if for some stupid reason we trade him away, you will be released to go with him" Rod explains.

"Is this your doing" I ask turning to Jonathan.

"It was my idea but Corey helped me with it. Having you around makes me feel better both on and off the ice and I know we can all use someone to lean on. And a life coach isn't just a listening ear, but you always seem to know what to say to get me to realize something or change my life. I think what you can do can do wonders for the guys" he explains.

"Well I'm flattered. I just don't know what to say" I insist.

"Are you interested" Rod wonders.

"Of course. But I wanted to do assembly's and stuff like that allows me to reach out to as many people as possible. I would love to help fix the guys' life but I want to do more" I insist.

"And you still can. We have our hands in every school in and around the Chicago area. We can have you go talk to the students or another area sports team. We do a lot of community work and we understand hockey's more than just a game, it's a lifestyle and who better to help people understand that than a life coach" he asks.

"Alright... say I accept this position. Do I travel with the team, do I go to the functions, where is the line between girlfriend and life coach" I ask.

"You can come to all the home games and as many away games as you would like. Your availibility with be mostly around practice and game time, so no holidays or anything like that. You can come to all the functions as Corey's girlfriend then to practices and games as a life coach. I know you're professional and take your craft seriosuly, I trust you to know how to handle certain situations should they come up" he says.

"This seems too good to be true" I admit.

"What can I say, we really want you. Jonathan was insistent we had this talk and quickly because he wants you to talk to a lot of the fellas" Rod insists.

"Well I'm pretty convinced" I assure him and he smiles.

"Perfect" he nods.

After talking for a little bit more we come to a agreement. He was going to write up a contract and I'll sign it the next time I was in the UC. Once we finish up there Jon and I have a real meeting before we head our separate ways. Finally I get to go home to a apartment that smelled like flowers.

"Is that a new candle" I ask Corey as I inhale deeply.

"Yeah. I know you liked flowers so I figured you would like this" he admits.

"It smells wonderful" I admit.

"Glad you like it" he smiles. "How was your meeting" he wonders and I laugh at the though of that being just a normal meeting.

"Pretty good. I got a new job" I tell him and he smirks.

"You got it" he asks and I nod.

"I'm the new Chicago Blackhawks life coach" I tell him and he does a little happy dance. He wraps his arms around me tight and I close my eyes.

"I'm proud of you baby" he tells me and I felt like I was going to melt right there in my arms.

"I couldn't have done it without you" I insist.