Chapter 1

.

SUMMER 1988 – Milky Way Galaxy

.

Beams of green lights flashed across the black abyss of space. Small craters exploded into several pieces as light blue energy smashed into them.

"On your left!" A woman sounding humanoid surrounded by a deep pink aura spoke as blood poured down her face. Her words were not quick enough as violent yellow balls of light skewered the large purple creature dressed in dark blue clothes.

"Gyah!" Another scream of pain called out before being suddenly silenced; the burning red light around the sleek squid-humanoid dulling into a matte maroon before vanishing completely.

"Tu-lok! No!" A large rock skinned being called out before throwing his hand forward. A deep green light formed a barrier in front and held back a flood of yellow energy before the green glass wall shattered – sending the rock like humanoid back and into a passing meteoroid.

Green light surrounded the rock-like man – protecting him from the impact. Floating forward from behind the debris was a man – a human, earthly man – fitted in a green suit with a white and green emblem of a lantern on his chest.

"We have to do this as unified front!" The earthly man called out, turning to the rainbow of glowing colors around them. The man closed his green glowing eyes for a moment before letting them drift across the battlefield, "I know it is not my place to ask, nor would you listen..." Green eyes snapped back to the massive yellow light energy as it formed and reformed into several different nightmarish figures. The man's eyes narrowed, "But the enemy before us is beyond demons and monsters. It creates terror into anything it comes in contact with. It has caused entire civilizations to destroy themselves out of sheer paranoia. All their fear... eaten... from each and every world touched by this entity of darkness... the living embodiment of fear."

"Parallax." Another male voice spoke as he flew to the earth man's side, "A nightmare like no other."

The man nodded to his green clad comrade and turned to the several green, light blue, dark blue, pink, orange, and red glowing beings – some humanoid looking, some not. The man smirked confidently at them, "Not one of us could stop such an entity on our own, but together..."

Green eyes locked with violent yellow.

"WE CAN STOP THIS DEMON BEFORE IT TAKES ANOTHER OF OUR HOMES!"

A chorus of battle cries and roars followed as several bright lights shot out from the hundreds of glowing guardians circled around the large yellow entity. The monstrous aura of yellow pulsed with a loud, ear piercing series of screeches and garbled noise. Different colored explosions filled the space stretching over miles as attack after attack pierced through the nightmare's defensives.

With one last attack left in it, the yellow entity let out one large, violent shockwave – killing hundreds of the warriors fighting against it in one quick blast of power.

The bright light died down, relieving a graveyard of corpses and in the center...

...a small ball of yellow light – no larger than a softball.

.

From the floating pile of blood, pieces of flesh and limbs without bodies attached rose one man. His left arm was missing – ripped off – and he was bleeding from several open holes on his body, but even as his vision turned red from his own blood, he raised his right hand and curled it into a fist towards the yellow entity.

"In brightest day..."

The neon green ring on the man's finger lit up.

"...in blackest night..."