Chapter 24 - Settling Down Back In District 7

John’s point of view:

It’s been one month filled with a lot of events since that day. Firstly: my recovery. I’ve gained more and more strength back over the last couple of weeks, and I’m starting to get some weak mobility in the shoulder as well. There’s still a long way to go there, but I’m moving in the right direction I’ve been told. As long as I’ve got Sylvia standing right next to me, it doesn’t really matter. I’ll always be on the right track with her by my side.

While keeping track of my recovery, we’ve also kept our eyes on the very eye-catching trial against Katniss. Killing a President of Panem does give you a very public one at that. She doesn’t say much. During the trial, her lawyers and the Head-doctor are the ones speaking her case. Katniss herself has been all too distant through all of it. They’re going with the insanity plea because of her losing her little sister so soon before the execution. It does her good because it doesn’t send her to jail, but back to District 12 for the rest of her life.

Back to my own recovery, as mentioned I’m getting stronger. I’ve become more and more mobile. I’ve even tried to walk a little, but I get dizzy really fast. The skull-injury will be something I will drag on for quite some time I’m told. I’ll just have to get used to it for now. It will pass in a few months. I can wear my arm in a sling sitting up straight and when I try to get up on my feet, but it will take many months before my shoulder will be anywhere near what it once used to be. Even though the strength on my grip is increasing by the day, the shoulder itself will take a whole lot longer.

Sylvia’s point of view:

“Are you sure you feel strong enough to go home?” I ask him for probably the hundredth time. I’m just worried about him getting his hopes up. He’s had a long road since he woke up and there’s still a hell of a long way to go before he can be somewhat back to who he used to be. We’re both sitting on the bed as I slightly rest my head on his left shoulder. For once he’s still sitting. “Hey, I know you worry about me getting too excited, but I need to get out of here. I need us to go home.” He answers as I kiss him. “And what, get to the smell of the pine-trees?” I tease him. “You know me all too well.” He answers as he kisses me on the forehead.

As we’re sitting there for a little while fooling around as one would say, the door opens and we both turn our attention towards the door. It’s the doctor. “Mr. Wintergreen…I hear word that you wish to be released.” He says as he walks in, in front of us. “That is my hope indeed.” He answers as he holds on to my hand. “Of course…” The doctor says as he sits down in front of us. “…now, many doctors would consider one month of recovery a few weeks short…” He starts. I immediately hold on to John’s hand as he squeezes back.

“But, as it happens to be, I’ve got some assignments over in District 7 the next month so I can personally keep an eye on your recovery. You’ve been recovering extremely well since you woke up so I am not concerned about any relapses. Your headaches will come and go, but they’ll go away after a few more weeks of mobility.” He says as I sense John’s smiling right next to me. “So I would have no problems with releasing you from the hospital here, seeing that I can see you on a daily basis in District 7.” He then says as I can sense John slightly chuckling at it. “You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that…” John then says as I look over at him and smile.

“Finally we can go home…” I let out as John turns towards me and kiss me on the lips. “So, when do we leave?” He then asks as he turns to the doctor. The doctor turns to check some of his papers it seems. “Well, at best tomorrow morning. I have a few more patients to tend to here before leaving. We’ll go by train so it’s quite a trip.” He then answers. “I’ll see you both tomorrow morning.” He then says as he leaves the room and it’s just the two of us left.