Chapter 2: Granger Danger

Over the next few weeks, Harry learned how things worked at Hogwarts. He and Draco found their way to classes, Draco's passed on knowledge from his parents helped them find their way to class on time. Harry grew to know which teachers to avoid, and which he could trust. He wasn't sure what to make about Professor Snape, because while he wasn't cruel exactly, he wasn't especially nice to Harry or Draco, either. He kept making comments to himself about how Draco was "so different" from his parents, to which Draco often looked at the ground sadly.  This made Harry angry, but he couldn't do anything but glare at Snape behind his back. Snape had taken a liking to Weasley, too, which Harry was angry as well.
"Why does he like Weasley? He's such a prat!" Harry ranted to Draco.
Draco laughed slightly before replying, "Yeah, but he likes prats." Harry laughed and nodded,  sprawling on the couch after a potions class that had seemed to last forever. Draco shoved him gently. "Move, you git, other people have to sit too!" He said, with no venom in his voice. Harry moved aside, sitting up with a leg under himself. Draco sat next to him, crossing his legs and pulling a book from his backpack to study. He started reading and Harry read over his shoulder, occasionally making a joke about something in the book. 

Presently, a girl with bushy brown hair walked into the common room, scanning the room before noticing the book Draco and Harry were reading. Harry had just made a comment about Newt Scamander's name, and they were both giggling at Harry's joke. The girl made her way across the room, a smile on her face.
"Is that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but it looks really good!" She said excitedly. "I'm Hermione, by the way. Hermione Granger."
Draco looked up at her in interest. "Hi, Hermione. I'm Draco."
"And I'm Harry!" Harry chimed in, trying to be polite.
She smiled at them before her expression changed suddenly, seeming to realize something, and she went darting to the corner with a desk. "It's nice to meet you both, but I should really study and get my homework done."
Harry and Draco exchanged glances. She seemed strange, but not in a bad way. They went back to what they'd been doing before, laughing and talking until it was time to go down to dinner. 

The next day, they had Transfiguration in the morning, so they got up, got dressed, and went down to breakfast. Harry poured himself some orange juice and speared a sausage to put on his plate, when the mail came in, owls pouring in through the windows. Weasley frowned as an old, weak looking owl screeched to a halt in front of him. He hit the owl, taking the letter from it before shooing it away. The owl flew, jolting, across the room to the Gryffindor table. He landed next to the boy who was in Madam Malkin's before flopping over, eyes closed. Harry looked to the boy...Was his name Percy? "Is...Is he alright?" Harry asked, concerned.
Percy nodded, a flush of embarrassment on his face. "Yeah, he's just tired from the long flight. I can't imagine that Ron hitting him helped, either." He said, eyes darkening at the mention of his brother.
Harry nodded, looking over to Draco who was seated next to him. He noticed that he, too, had gotten something in the mail. "What'd you get, Draco?" Harry asked, curious.
Draco opened the package, a letter. His face was filled with worry as he opened the letter. "My parents won't be happy that I'm not in Slytherin..." He murmured, gingerly unfolding the letter. His eyes scanned the paper, eyes filling with tears. He folded the paper back up, placing it on the table silently. His hands shook as he picked up his fork to continue eating.
Harry's eyebrows knit with worry. "Draco? What did they say?" He asked, concerned. It wasn't like him to be quiet like this. Usually, he would talk and talk for ages, not that Harry minded.
Draco shook his head. "Nothing. It's nothing, everything is absolutely fine." His voice cracked.
Harry frowned, now very scared for his friend. "Draco... It doesn't seem fine. Do you want to talk about it?"
Draco shook his head. "It's FINE. Come on, hurry up eating, we're going to be late for Transfiguration at this rate."
Harry wasn't sure he believed everything was 'fine,' but he decided not to push it. Draco seemed really distressed, and he didn't want to make Draco cry. They silently finished their breakfast and got up to go to class.