Alison

Alison was a rare case. Not only was she a vampire, but she was also a princess. This was because her sire, who was now also her adoptive father, was the vampire king himself: King Dorian. Despite such an impressive genesis, however, Alison took no pride in being related to King Dorian. If anything, their bond only confused the younger vampire. This was because she still wasn't quite sure why he'd chosen her to be his child.

And more than that, why had he wanted a child at all? It wasn't like he was going to need an heir, and he certainly wasn't the kind of guy to just surrender the throne for fun. He wasn't even very fatherly or kind, so it wasn't like he'd turned Alison just to have a companion! He didn't even like her! And vice versa! So to Alison, it made no sense that Dorian had turned her.

But she supposed that it did not really matter anymore. What was done was done. She was a vampire princess now, her undead status just as irreversible as her status as Dorian's daughter. Regardless of her new father's motives, Alison was, and would forever be, a vampire, and nothing could ever fix that. But to be quite honest, the life she was leaving behind hadn't been too much different than the "life" she was leading now.

In life, Alison had still been a member of a royal family (although she had not been as high-ranking as a princess). But back in life, she'd lived in a large and fancy castle with an army of servants to answer her every beck and call. And her parents had been very regal and refined. Those parents loved her, but they were often too busy with royal duties to pay her much heed. It had been a lonely existence, and the night Dorian had come to her, breaking into her room and insisting that she would become his most perfect and beautiful daughter, had not been entirely terrible.

Of course it had been painful and frightening at the time, to be attacked in her own room in the middle of the night, but after Dorian had swept her away and brought her into her new "life", not much really changed for the young noblewoman. Honestly, the biggest changes for her were in terms of the food she ate and the company she kept.

The change in diet was obvious, but the change in company was far more interesting. In life, her only companions had been other noble mortals. In death, however, she met an array of creatures that she otherwise would've never even known existed, let alone gotten to know well enough in order to befriend. Ghosts, ghouls, witches, were-creatures, fairies, harpies, deities, aliens, spider-women and all manner of other mythological creatures would flock from around the world in order to attend her father's magnificent parties and, because she was required to attend every single one of these parties, she got to meet every single one of these many mythological monsters.

Her most common companions, however, were vampires. Other members of Dorian's court. But even though Alison was a vampire herself, she never grew very close to anyone else in Dorian's court. There was always a distance between her and them and she never bothered to bridge that gap. Even if she was forced to coexist with these other vampires, she spent most of her time alone, so she never had to see them very much. And the distaste was mutual. The others would never dare disrespect her to her face, but it was quite clear that they weren't very fond of her, just because she came off as incredibly cold and distant. She was also a bit of a black sheep, which made it even harder to connect with them.

Three prime examples came in the forms of Morgan, Calvin and Vera. Morgan was Dorian's personal bodyguard. He was very stern and emotionless. It would've been easier to have a conversation with a statue than with him. Calvin was another vampire soldier, though he was the exact opposite of Morgan. While Morgan was cold and hard, Calvin was a hotheaded bully who loved to assert his dominance whenever he could. He was loud and proud, incredibly rude and boastful, but luckily, it was never too hard to shut him up. For all of his talk, he was still a fairly young vampire, and his lack of training was painfully obvious. He was all bark and no bite. Never once had he bested her in combat.