Chapter 5

For a moment, there was peace and Class 1A huddled in for a large group hug, almost toppling over themselves quite a few times as they all tried their very best to hug every single person their could. It was warm, and while it wasn't the most comfortable position, it was the best thing that Kaminari had felt in a while.

Unspoken emotions lingered in the air as someone sighed out in relief from the big tangle of arms and legs and hearts. In the corner of his eye, he could just barely see Aizawa-sensei smiling contentedly, leaned against the wall of the classroom. Around his torso, Bakugo was surprisingly quiet, tightening his hold on him. The blonde felt another wave of warmth encircle him.

Here, he was safe. He was protected.

Most of all, he was warm.

He couldn't remember the last time he had been so warm.

At first, it had been his family. The sweet, small smile of his mother, the hearty laugh of his father, and the big, adorable pouty grin his sister had always sported.

Then it had been the LoV. Shigaraki's complete cluelessness to what lip balm was, Dabi's resigned, sarcastic voice as he tried to explain why he needed said lip balm, Toga's endearing giggles, Kurogiri's silent presence, Twice's antics, and all the rest of their stupid little spouts.

He felt a twitch of guilt.

With this, he had blown half their plans to dust.

But then again, did that matter to him anymore? He was now on the hero's side...

The truth was, it did. It mattered to him because they had been like a second family. He knew they wouldn't hold a grudge against him, they couldn't. But he had to leave this behind him. As much as he didn't know what was right or wrong, he couldn't shake off that childish desire to save people.

The word 'villain' didn't quite feel right for him anymore, especially here, in the embrace of.... of his heroes. And, more importantly, his friends.

Bakugo's loud growls even as he handed him a water bottle, Kirishima's loud, uplifting yells, Mina's cheerful personality, Sero's fond laugh, Jiro's quiet sympathy, Todoroki's silent support, Midoriya's happy smiles, Uraraka's bubbly personality, all of their affection had been a breath of fresh air.

All the times he had spent with his friends, even ones like Todoroki. 

One would think that they wouldn't be close, with how different their personalities were. At first, he had been wary of him and avoided for a while, seeing how he could easily throw a wrench in his plan. Still, it had been nice to see him start to open up with Midoriya's help. It had reminded him a bit of him and Tobio back in the old days. 

So one day, when the stoic boy had come up to him and offered to help him study with such a hopeful expression on his face, Midoriya biting his nails nervously from behind the corner, he hadn't been able to find it within himself to say no.

It had turned out to be so much fun, and he had learned much more about the other teen than he had previously thought he would know. He knew his favorite things, his strange little jokes, and he absolutely lived for his small smiles.

It was always a calming, content atmosphere he was welcomed into when he held those quiet study sessions.

Uraraka had also surprised him when she had first invited him to spar with her. He had been searching for a partner to go to the gym with; Kirishima and Bakugo were too hard core for his 'personality', and Mina and Sero tended to go the flexibility and acrobatic route, which he knew he was already familiar with. Seeing that both of them wished to improve their martial arts, he had agreed to her proposal easily.