Chapter 20

In the morning, I felt a lot better. At some point throughout the night, I had moved so that Keith's arms were around me and I didn't wake up in a state of panic. In fact, I woke up and felt warm and at home. I closed my eyes and breathed in the vague smell of citrus.

"Do you want to visit your family today?" Keith asked in a hushed voice once he realised I was awake. He buried his head into my hair and secured his arm around me.

"I don't think they'd want to see me." I whispered back and Keith sighed behind me.

"You know they want to see you. Don't you remember that conversation you had with them on the phone? They were so happy that you got in contact with them again."

"I know but I'm scared. I'm e-embarrassed..." Keith pulled me closer so that I was pressed right up against him. "They told me not to stay with Lotor and I didn't listen. I'm such a mess now too. I've changed so much..."

"Changed how, love?"

The pet name made me blush but Keith never took it back. "I'm so much more anxious now. I don't like it when people touch me... except you, of course. I'm not loud anymore at all. I've become more reserved and quiet. They're going to hate it, Keith. Lotor took me away from them and- and even though I'm back physically, I'm still not quite there mentally."

"They won't blame you. This isn't your fault."

"It is though. I should have listened to them. They're my family. Of course I shouldn't have walked out on them and not trusted them like that."

"You didn't know. Love can cloud your judgements and make you do things you wouldn't usually do. It is not your fault that Lotor turned out to be an absolute jerk."

"I know but... why did I trust him?"

"Because you were in love. How were you supposed to know what he was really like?"

"I don't know..."

"See, not your fault. It's his for being a jerk." Keith pressed a kiss to the back off my head and my face lit up even brighter. How Keith could kiss my head before I had my morning shower and washed my hair, I did not know.

"Let's go then," I whispered, closing my eyes gently as an attempt to raise my courage. "Before I change my mind."

-

I thought I was going to puke whilst I waited for someone to open up the front door. I had an iron grip on Keith's hand as I continuously shifted my weight from one foot to another. Just as I was about to bail or turn and vomit in the bushes, the door flew open to reveal my youngest brother. Luis' face lit up like the sun as he ran forward and hugged me tightly. I stiffened but was quick to melt into the warmth. His head managed to reach my shoulder, even at my lanky height. He had grown so much since I had last seen him.

"Would you prefer if I left you guys alone?" Keith asked from where he was awkwardly standing beside me and Luis.

"Please stay." I murmured and Keith nodded, reaching for my hand. Luis pulled me inside and started to ramble about how much everyone had missed me. I knew my cheeks were heating up out of embarrassment but I truly was glad to be home.

I was bombarded with hugs from everyone as I entered the living room. Veronica hung back a little but, as soon as I was separated from the others, she engulfed me in an embrace too. She buried her head into my shoulder and, when she pulled back, I could have sworn my shirt was a bit damp but she didn't appear to have been crying. "I missed you all so much." Tears were welling up in my own eyes but, as much as I wanted to cry, I couldn't. I had to stay strong for my family.

"If I had known you were coming, I'd have cooked something! You should have warned me in advance, hijo. I could cook you something now if you-" My mum was staring to ramble so I cut her off.

"There's no need for that, mum. We just ate lunch."

"But you look so small. Have you been eating properly?" My mum's eyes were essentially interrogating me so I shrunk back. Keith noticed and reached out to rub my arm. His presence never failed to ground me.

"He's getting better. I think it's best we don't talk about how he is." Keith spoke up. I hung my head in shame: I needed someone else to say what was on my mind. I couldn't even stand up for myself.

"Sorry. We've just got so much catching up to do! Did you know Veronica can drive now?" I turned to look at my sister who was grinning proudly.