Chapter 3

I stared at the clock trying to fathom if time was moving slower, or if my perception of clock was wrong. I didn't blink for a solid minute. There is no way in hell that it is only five thirty in the evening. I feel like I have been here for days. The rain clouds getting darker and darker. But....I just don't understand. This whole thing started at lunch period. And everything moved so fast at first, but now it just seems to drag by. The only marker I have to look forward to is a nurse checking on me on top of the hour. They view my monitors and make sure everything is looking stable. My breathing and heart rate tend to fluctuate. They also checked on my mental state. While it is improving, its still rather dismal. The seizures are painful and unpredictable. I hate them. I hate being here. I hate the idiot classmates who did this. This intricate, this premeditated, this ruthless....thing. There can't be a word to describe it. Its cruel, its cold, and its heartless. They killed Derik, and made us all sick and depressed. I hope they get whats coming to them. 

I curl up and continue to stare. A single minute passes by and the minute hand makes a mocking click. 5:32! I can't stand this. I fall back onto my bed, ignoring the pile of books at the foot of it. I've read them all twice, but then again Cait's parents didn't know that when they came by. Imogen was laying on the right side of my bed. She watched the lightning and rain as it danced across the window. Her mom leading a long chat with Kai in the corner. We munched on Chapati, and cake, and stared at the ceiling. We'd been at this for a while. Neither of us were in the mood to talk, or write (in my case). 

"This bites," Imogen gripes. I nod. "Like... really sucks." I nodded some more. "Wish we were dead?" I don't answer that one. This is miserable. And I do know what happens when we cross. Is death really a bad thing for me? I push it out of my mind. I would rather not think about that. Then a knock came at the door. Kai opened it. Two men in blue suits walk it. Their lapels decorated with pins of gold and silver. Their wands holster on one side of their belt and an electric yellow crystal on the other. An older women followed behind them in a grey dress, matching blazer, and a chunky pink necklace. Her graying hair tied up in a tightest bun I have ever seen. Manila folders full of papers in her arms. More than even the doctors have on me. My goddess.

"Alright honey," Says Mrs. Otieno, "We better go." She pulls Imogen out of my bed. A scowl that would put a demon to shame smacked itself onto my face.

"Good luck with them," She said sarcastically as she disappeared out the door. I'll need it. They look around for a second, and then move their way to my bedside. One of them pulls over the little rolling table over to me. They stand, motionless, towering over me in a flood of blue and sparkles. The woman places most her supplies on the windowsill before going to join them. She still had one folder tucked under her arm. The older of the two men put a camcorder on the table and clicked it on. The other man picked it up and aimed it at me. I didn't bother to primp myself. There was no point. Let them see me for the disheveled mess I've become. 

"Miss Brawen, I'm Larry, and this is my partner Chase from the United Police Department. And this is Judge Kiara Winkle. We just have a few questions for you about today's... incident," he stretched out the word. Incident, is not how I would describe it either. But this...this is not good. The police are involved. Clearly this goes beyond school social hierarchy and bullying. This was out of my hands now. It was out of my hands when we sat at that dining hall table. 

Larry asked Caius if he could leave for a few moments. They wanted to interview me in private. Nothing against him personally. And Caius, being who he is, confidently obliged. He promised me he'd be right outside the door if I needed him at all. And like that he was gone. And the room felt quiet, and colder. I curled my legs to my chest. 

"This will be quick. We promise," Judge Winkle said. 

"Do you recall the events of today Miss Brawen?" Chase asked me. I nodded. Chase dug into Ms. Winkle's folder and pulled out a piece of blank paper. "We were made aware that you are unable to speak, is this correct?" I nod again. "Can you demonstrate that for us? Would you state your schools name."