Chapter 2

At the end of the day, Nick, Case, my friend Kenzie who needed a ride, and I met at the car. Well, Nick and I actually walked together with my friend Lindsey because, we all had seventh period together.

On our way to the car I began to notice some people starring at us. I had just shrugged it off and continued on with the conversation we were having. Nick and I got in the car as we waited for Case and Kenzie as Lindsey got into her car to the left of me. I rolled down the windows and turned the air up before I grabbed the aux cord and handed it over to Nick allowing him to plug his phone into it and play whatever music he wanted. Him and I just jammed out to whatever he played until Case and Kenzie got into the car where I then backed out of my parking spot and began to get in the line of traffic.

As we were waiting in line I remembered that I didn't introduce Kenzie to Nick. "Oh yeah, Kenzie this is Nick. He just moved in not to far from me. And, Nick this is Kenzie." They exchanged hellos and we continued to listen to the music.

After sitting in traffic for nearly 15 minutes, I finally made it out to the open roads where we began a 15 minute drive to Kenzie's house.

Before I knew it we were at her house and for some odd reason she asked me to walk her up to her door. So I got out of the car and walked her up to her house and said "Hey, what's up?" "Come inside really quick" she said. I held up my finger to indicate one minute to Nick who was staring out the window.

"Hope, you have to get him to be you MANS!" She shouted. "Really, Kenzie. I thought you were going to say something completely different. But, since we are on the topic, yeah he's attractive but, I don't know him that well." I said. "Well then get to know him." She said with a smirk on her face as she gave me a wink and walked away. I turned to face the door and just stood there, shaking my head with the goofiest smile on my face.

Once I calmed myself down I went back to the car and began to drive. "So, what did she want to say?" Case asked all nosely. "She just asked me if we were going to surprise Bridgette for her birthday this week." I lied. Bridgette's birthday isn't until February but, I couldn't think of anything else to say. "Oh, that's boring." He said and went back to his phone. "Well geeh, thanks for caring about my friends." I said and laughed. Nick laughed as well.

I then continued to drive and decided that I would take Kenzie's advice and try to get to know him more. "So, where did you live before you moved?" I asked. "I lived in Clearwater, closer to Odessa then the beach but, not to bad. What about you, have you ever moved before?" "No, at least not that I can remember. The only time that I know of is when I was a month old and my parents moved to where we are now. So, what do your parents do for a living?" I asked. "They work on packaging and shipping clothes and other things. What about you?" He asked back. "Well, my mom just last year switched from being a cafeteria manager to being a 9-1-1 call taker and my dad actually works three jobs. He is a part time welder/fabricator, a part time firefighter, and he works full time for this guy who owns the property we live on doing different handyman type jobs." I said. "Wow, he must never be around." Nick said. "Yeah, lately he hasn't been but, he is doing his best to provide for my mom, brothers, and I. He always finds time to be around some how." I said with a less up beat tone.

My family's status was a touchy subject for my parents and I. So of course I slightly tensed up when he decided to ask me the same question.

"Do you have any pets?" I asked him. "Yeah, I have two. One is a Boxer names Santos and the other one, I'm not sure what breed he is but, we call him Ricky. What about you?" He said while grinning. "I have two cats named Alice and Bella, two dogs named Bear and Sig, a pet deer named Baby, and two of probably the same breed of Ricky known as Ty and Case." I said going along with his joke.

"So, have you been around the town to see the different 'great' features our small town has?" I questioned. "No, not yet. Maybe you could show my brother Ricky and I around so we don't get lost?" "Yeah, anytime you want to just ask." "How about today an hour after you drop me off?" He asked. "Sounds good!"

I continued to drive and I turned onto the dirt road where I had first met Nick. Only to see an older blue Ford minivan parked there.

"Well, that's Ricky. I guess he thought I was riding the bus home still. Here, I'll get your number and text you the address and the gate code to get to my house." He said while handing me his phone. I put my phone number in and gave him back his phone and I watched him type in a name for me and gather his backpack. He said "I'll see you later." and gave a small wave as he walked over to the minivan and got in the passenger seat. Him and Ricky were talking as I began to drive down the road to get to my house.

***Nick's Point Of View***

I waved goodbye to Hope and I began to walk to Ricky's car. I could already see the smirk on his. I knew exactly what was coming next.

I get to the passenger door and I open it. I get in the car and shut the door and immediately Ricky pestered me. "Ohhhh, who was that? and was that a little phone number action I saw goin on?" He said in an annoying voice. "That was Hope, she drove me to school and back because, I missed the bus this morning because you dropped me off late and yes, I did get her phone number but, only so I can text her our address and the gate code so she can show us around town in about an hour." I said. "Riggghhhhhttt, or is that just an excuse to get her number?" He questioned while wiggling his eyebrows. I just rolled my eyes and said "Ricky start to drive." "Well shheesh what's your hurry, you got a hot date or something? Oh wait, you actually do." He said as he started to drive.

I just looked outside the passenger window with a stupid grin on my face. Not knowing what this feeling was, I tried to hide it before Ricky decided to tease me about it.