chapter 29

Lily's cry boldly rung from the baby monitor, as Aria and Mike separated in response. Mike looked at Aria hopeful, "Can I go and get her?" he asked as Aria nodded and Mike began taking off.

"Up the stairs, second door on the left," Aria screamed after her brother as he disappeared out of sight. Ezra's arms came around Aria as they both smiled, knowing they'd chosen perfectly for Lily.

"Hey beautiful girl," Mike said to Lily when he found her room and began walking towards her crib. "It's your godpapa," Mike said before squinting his face, "Okay, so that title doesn't exactly work, or maybe it does? Perfect for us, Lily? I'm your godpapa," he smiled as he reached in and gently pulled the crying baby out of the crib. She lay content in Mike's arms as he bounced her slightly, her crying immediately ceasing.

"I love you, Lily," he said as he kissed her forehead. He then walked out of her bedroom holding her snugly, as he began walking back towards the lounge room where Aria and Ezra were waiting.

4 years later.

Ezra sat on the couch in the lounge room, quietly reading the newest book he'd picked up from the bookstore where he and Aria met 5 years ago now. Aria was upstairs in her study, writing her second novel. Her first, written with Ezra, was based on their story, and it had been received well. They were thrilled with the positivity that had come from it from the public; though truth be told; they were just happy with their creation even if no one else ever saw it.

There was a slight skid of the one seat chair next to Ezra against the floor, as he remained concentrating on his book. Though he had failed to look, Lily was there leaning on the arm rest of her chair, pulling faces at Ezra trying to get his attention. Being born into a family who worshipped books and the written word; she was patient and appreciative of books, and knew they were important. Ezra could feel Lily there, and decided to tease her now, keeping on 'reading' while she got frustrated and kept pulling faces without him reacting.

Lily stuck out her tongue, and tilted her head while she crossed her eyes, trying to make him laugh. Ezra saw out of the corner of his eye what she was doing and smiled softly to himself, trying to not give away to Lily that he could see her. She screwed up her face and scowled her eyebrows, looking just like her mother as she did, and pushed herself off the chair and threw her feet loudly on the wooden floor.

Ezra maintained 'reading' appearance as he tried not to give way his thoughts; his thoughts that she was so beautiful just like her mum would have been at her age. Next thing he knew, Lily had crawled onto the floor and pushed herself in between Ezra and his book.

"Boo!" she shouted at Ezra while he falsified surprise. Her shout though was enough to secretly send her dad's heart through the roof.

"Lily," he exclaimed through a smiled, and grabbed the little girl by the waist. He tossed the book to the end of the couch, held her on top of him and tickled her ribs and under her neck while she laughed and screamed and kicked her tiny legs furiously

"Stop, stop," Lily laughed as Ezra stopped his tickling and she sat straighter on his left knee.

"Daddy," Lily said as she put her arms as far around Ezra's neck as they could go.

"Yes my darling," he replied as his hand began rubbing her shin.

"Do you think it will be cool; me going to the same school as you?" she asked, clearly having thought about this a little bit.

Ezra pursed his lips tight and brushed a finger across without realising, thinking before he spoke. He lowered his wrist back down to his free leg before meeting her eyes, that were slightly nervous, yet curious.