𝐱. 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.

Emilie Autumn

NIGHT DESCENDED UPON THE FIRE NATION CAMP SWIFTLY, leaving Zhao to speak with his council of advisors about their next move.

"He's heading north, to the Northern Water Tribe," Zhao muttered, turning his attention away from the faded map on the wall to survey the men behind him, "the Avatar needs to master water bending. He's looking for a teacher."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Captain Lee questioned, raising his fist aggressively, "let's go get him!"

"Patience, Captain. This isn't just some little Earth village that we can march into. The Water Tribe is a great nation," Zhao paced the length of the tent, continuing, "the frozen tundra is treacherous. The landscape itself is an icy fortress... we'll need a massive invasion force."

Shia watched the flames flicker within the brazier broodingly, contemplating the events of the past few days. After the paralysis had worn off she's returned to the ship with Iroh and Zuko, leaving June and her shirshu at the bar. After a day of travel, they'd finally dropped anchor for the night at an isolated dock. As usual, Zuko was sulking in his room, upset about having missed his opportunity to capture the Avatar again. Iroh was making merry with the other soldiers, whilst Shia watched on sleepily. The singing was just about to begin.

Lieutenant Ji gently strummed his instrument as two of the other soldiers, dressed casually now that they were off duty, worked up a beat with a pair of small drums. Iroh began to sing along to the music jovially, swaying to the beat.

"Winter, spring... summer and fall~ Winter, spring.... Summer and fall~  Four seasons.... Four loves~ Four seasons.... Four loves—"

Iroh was cut off by the clank of metal against the floor of the ship as a group of three soldiers marched onto the ship. Shia rose to her feet hastily, grabbing her guandao, as her companions followed suit. It was only once the other group had approached the flames that she was able to discern the identities of the intruders: Commander Zhao and his soldiers.

Zhao had come to transfer the soldiers aboard to his own fleet. He'd been promoted to the rank of Admiral, which granted him the authority to take everyone on board – besides the royalty themselves, and those who served directly beneath them, like Shia. Now she was accompanying Iroh and Zhao to Zuko's room.

Shia knocked lightly to alert Zuko, before pushing the door open. She struggled to find his figure in the darkness – why did he insist on doing his brooding in the dark, again? It was a terrible habit. Shia ignored her own thoughts and stepped to the side, allowing Iroh to enter nervously. He seemed to already know where Zuko was, looking to the corner of the room. Following his gaze, Shia realised that Zuko was leaning against the wall sulkily, his arms crossed over his chest with his legs outstretched across the floor.

"For the last time, Uncle," Zuko began irritably, looking up from the floor to glower at them, "I'm not playing the tsungi horn."

Shia would have laughed if the situation hadn't been so dire. Zuko, playing the tsungi horn? The thought alone was worth millions.

"No," Iroh began hesitantly, "it's not about that.... it's about our plans. There's a bit of a problem..."

Zuko's frown deepened at the words, but his expression quickly shifted to wide-eyed shock when Zhao entered the room. The way Zhao walked alone was enough to convey his smugness at the fact that he'd stolen the crew from Zuko, and his insufferable smirk made Shia want to shove a tsungi horn down his throat.