VI

Disclaimer: I do not own Percy Jackson and the Olympians or Heroes of Olympus. Uncle Rick does.

Matthew stood by his father a little longer.

Through the layers of roots that had protectively grown around his creator, Matthew could manage to see the peaceful face of his master.

He sighed. Partially from sadness, and partially because he knew that there was a lot of work ahead of him.

A smile followed the sigh. Matthew knew that the work ahead of him was for a good cause, and most importantly, it was the will of his father.

Matthew stepped out of the Elder Tree. He looked around the library one more time. The area around the tree increasingly becoming more of a forest, and less of a library.

Everywhere he looked, Matthew saw life flourishing. This sanctuary that Percy created, it came from a place of depression and death, and has now transformed into the miracle of life.

Matthew made his way outside of the library, as he looked back, he saw the building quickly falling apart. Overgrowth rapidly took over, and soon, what was once a proud library, became a majestic forest.

The library was massive, with an insanely high ceiling. Still, Matthew caught sight of the Elder Tree as it just barely broke through the wooden ceiling.

Outside of the library, the scenery changed to a tropical rainforest. Walking through the much thicker vegetation, Matthew spotted Percy's original Nymphs. The ones that covered every inch of the library, helping Percy gain all his knowledge.

The two major differences between the ancient nymphs that Percy had recreated and Matthew were a physical difference and a spiritual difference.

The ancient nymphs still had their tree-trunk like bodies, while Matthew had a body much like a humans. This meant that while Matthews body reassembled more of a human, and was more versatile, it was also much more delicate. Matthews body is easier to break, and he will eventually, in some decades, die of old age.

The spiritual difference is simple, but much more important. Matthew had free will, the ancient nymphs did not. He wants to carry out his father's will, both out of gratitude and love, but unlike the ancient nymphs, he is not forced to do so.

There were many nymphs wondering around. Matthew knew that there were many more keeping an eye on him, which he could not actually spot. Now that they had finished their first task, the ancients had a single mission.

They were to hunt down any intruders that got close to, or trespassed into, the Forest of Knowledge.

This meant any intruder, to include Matthew. Right now, they were letting him leave, but he knew that if he tried to stay, or come back, they would immediately swarm him.

He made it to the edge of the rainforest. As he progressed, he lost sight of the ancients, although he could still feel their eyes on him. Matthew also knew that aside from the ancients, there were many dangerous creatures that inhabited the rainforest. Some from the mortal world, some from the mythical world, and some of Percy's own creation.

It seemed like excessive security in order to guard himself. Percy could easily fend off just about any opponent that came his way, but Matthew understood that all the obstacles to reach the Elder Tree were trails, for future adventurers.

Matthew took one more glance at the rainforest before turning towards the massive stone structure that encircled the entire rainforest. The structure was technically knew, but it already looked worn by decades of weathering. Moss and vines covered its entire surface, and even some trees sprouted from the walls and then turned upwards. The walls had intricate designs. Some things Matthew recognized.