I- Meeting is only nice when it's on your terms

A/N: Hello my lovelies! I'm so excited to be starting a brand new story and sharing it with you guys! This is the first chapter as a preview for Roses Are Red.

------------------------------------------------------------

Six minutes and twenty-five seconds until my mother will walk into my room and I will be forced to leave with her. I wait patiently and blankly stare at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing the dress she picked out, the one with lace trims and a classy neckline. My makeup is light, I thought it was fitting considering the circumstances. My long auburn hair cascades down my back in perfect curls. I glance at the lilac colored curling iron, it was a Christmas gift from him. Tears start to pool in the corner of my eyes. I push them back and move my attention to the analog clock on my vanity instead. Six minutes. Ever since I found out about his death, time seems to move slower. Dragging on day by day, a constant reminder that it'll be forever before I see Haden again.

And what about mom? How is she supposed to recover from losing her only son, mere years apart from losing the father of her children? It's a wonder she gets up in the morning, half of her family is dead, and I'm leaving for college in four months. The reality of her empty nest seeps into my pores and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm the only one she has left and I know I'm not enough.

Only three minutes and seven seconds left. I suppose I could go down the stairs and beat her to the punch, but it would be pointless considering I don't want to go, because if I go then it means it's real. There's no coming back once I walk inside the funeral home.

I was there, when mom met with the director and planned Haden's funeral. I learned firsthand how expensive burying someone is. Not to mention the death tax...we get taxed to die? As Haden would say, "The system is fucking backwards." He was a business major who didn't believe in capitalism. An anomaly. Anyways, it wasn't just about the money. We had to pick everything out. Things I never thought I'd have to pick out.

For example, the casket, which one would he prefer? The dark mahogany with silk pillows that cost more than my tuition, or the not so expensive cremation process and a casket rental for the funeral? "Why does he need silk and mahogany? It's not like he cares now that he's dead." My mom gave me the dirtiest look after I said that to the funeral home director. I regret it now but it made sense at the time, and we went with option two anyway.

My reaction to Haden's death has been insincere to say the least. Mom thinks I'm trying to stay strong, but she's wrong. I just feel like he's still at school, and I'll see him next week when he's on spring break. Hence my hesitation in going to the funeral in the first place. What if seeing him in the rented-out casket causes me to break down and melt? I don't think it's something I can handle doing right now.

Thirty-two seconds left. I spend that time letting my thoughts drown me. It's almost comforting, thinking about nothing and everything and that numbing feeling that comes with it. I soak in the feeling until my hand gets pruny and the water gets cold.

A knock sounds on my door just before my mom walks in, I pull myself back to reality.  "It's time to go." She says sadly. It's the same way for her as it is for me. I don't look at her because I know her eyes are puffy and red, I know she tried to cover it up with makeup, and I know it's not working. "Lily." She calls when I don't acknowledge her the first time.

"I'll be right behind you," I say calmly.

"Okay." My mom gives in as she shuts the door and leaves me to myself.