V- Twenty-Four Hours

My first day of classes hasn't exactly been everything I pictured it would be. For starters, I woke up late. Likely due to Jason's silly comment about it being a school night. He jinxed me, I just know it. Because of this, I ran in my first class about two minutes and thirty-seven seconds late.

Then to my surprise, when the professor invited me to take a seat, the only one available was besides Jason Porter. The jinxer himself, looking smug in his chair. I stand up straight and walk over to him, sitting down as quietly as I can. "Long night?" Jason whispers out of the side of his mouth. He's quiet and obviously messing with me. Jason's head shakes as he chuckles at me.

I had no idea he was going to be in this class, but it's the perfect opportunity for some recon.

The professor starts going on about the syllabus, but I'm having a hard time concentrating. In another life, one where I imagine Haden is still alive, I would likely be taking this a lot more seriously. I'd give it my all, jumping head first into school. Instead, I feel doomed from the start. I'm sure the school itself is great, I just pictured this differently.

Jason writes notes beside me, scribbling away with a ballpoint pen. He touches the end of it to his lips, avertedly getting my attention. I look over to see what he's writing, and it mimics what's on the projector system. To my surprise, Jason cares about school. I only wish I could match that same energy onto my paper. Instead, I fiddle with the left bottom corner. I fold it over, making a small triangle crease. Then I fold it the opposite direction, the paper bends to my will and calms my nerves.

After class, I stand up with all of the other students. Jason goes ahead of me but I follow him to catch up, "Jason, wait." He walks out but waits for me. I smile, "I wanted to ask a few questions. Find out a few things before accepting a position with Charlie." We walk as we talk, his steps in sync with mine.

Jason shrugs, "I wouldn't expect anything less from you."

With that, I shoot my first question at him. "When did you start working for her?" A simple question, so easy he could answer it with a sentence or two.

"That's complicated." Is all he offers. Two words that mean nothing to me. "Next question."

"O-kay." My words draw out as I think of a new question. "What's the catch with her?"

    To this, I swear I notice Jason's ears perk and he treads lightly. "No comment."

    I grab his arm and whine, "Oh come on."

    Jason sighs but the more eye contact we make, the more I can tell I'm winning him over. I let him go, dropping my arm back down to my side. He nods in the direction of the library, and I can tell he wants to be surrounded by books instead of people. We make our way through the heavy doors and onto the familiar carpet. Chase is no longer manning the desk, but a different student instead.

    Jason leads me to the very back, where there's a section on Latin and other "dead languages." His confidence in our privacy here is ironic. "You really want to know what it's like to work for Charlie?" I nod like an eager child.

    Jason opens his mouth to speak, when suddenly, the library doors that we walked in from creak and open wide. Thick fog begins to roll over the floors, layering and layering until you can't see up to your knees. I hear footsteps at first, heavy pounding that shakes the floor beneath me. Then, in walks Haden, confident and with his sharp irises fixated on me. "Holy shit." I say to myself, reality seems to be fading in and out the clearer he gets. He's broad and tall, hovering over both Jason and I. His blonde hair is just as bright as the last time I saw him. Haden gets so close that the fog no longer matters, and every distinct feature on his face is visible to me. I smile at him,direct and unashamed, even in my state of confusion. This doesn't even feel like a dream, which means reality is starting to get mixed up for me.  Let it blend, stirring the pot for my own advantage and I ask Haden, "What are you doing here?"