Prologue

Finding Her Blessing

Copyright © 2014, KikiEmin

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from the author.       

   "What?!"

Emi couldn't believe her ears. She had never thought it could ever happen to her. It sounded like something you find in historical romance books. But this was neither historical nor a story from a book. This was real. Very, very real. Her parents wanted to marry her off to some wealthy American family. And the reason? Because they wanted to increase their influence on other continents. And America was as good a place as any to start with. Next time they would want to conquer the whole world. It was hard for Emi to comprehend why they couldn't be satisfied with being one of the richest and most influential families in Japan. They couldn't get any more greedy. She had always been aware of the fact that neither of her parents loved her. But not even in her wildest dreams would she have thought they would sell her.

        "But I don't want to marry a stranger!" Emi protested.

        "This is not your choice to make." Her father Daichi Ichijo, calmly responded to her outburst. "You're an Ichijo and I expect you to act like one. Don't disappoint me more than you already have," he added as he narrowed his eyes. Her mother, as usual, was standing next to him, not saying anything. She didn't feel like coming to her daughter's aid. Her mother was heartless. She had never shown affection towards her daughter. Not even towards her husband. Theirs was not a love match, Emi thought. Emi still hoped for some reaction, though. She could feel tears forming in her brown eyes.

        "At least I wanted to choose my own spouse." Emi murmured.

        "That you can."

        "Eh?" Emi was taken aback. Hadn't he just said it hadn't been her choice to make?

        "The Johnsons have four sons. To show you my goodwill, you can pick whoever of the four you want." He was wearing a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. It was anything but warm, and it sent chills down her spine. She knew she wouldn't be able to persuade him to abandon the asinine idea.

        "But I don't know them. I've never even seen them," she said weakly.

        "Then you just have to get to know them." That's when everything started going pear-shaped.