Chapter 3: Broken Dreams

Chapter key:

-Gwyneira's Journal

-Past memories {Italic 

The curtains slid open as a small girl looked up, a smile coming to her face, minty green eyes lighting up at the sight of the tall visitor. "Gwyn!" She gleefully exclaimed, excitedly grinning to the older girl that strolled over. The older girl, known to the smaller girl as 'Gwyn', couldn't have been any older than 14, her hair a long ashen blue hair that already seemed to be losing its pigment from the bottom, the mess of hair all pushed into a ponytail by a cute pink bow at the back.

"Morning my little dime, how are you feeling? The new drugs aren't making you too drowsy, are they?"

"Nope! I'm perfectly fine, Big Sister! I haven't been drowsy at all!" She smiled, then suddenly hiccupped, causing the older of the two to giggle as she placed down a large box at the end of the bed. Gwyn opened the box gingerly as she smiled over to the younger girl, spring green eyes latching onto the various amounts of wires her sister was attached to. She counted and re-counted, making sure it was the same amount as yesterday and the day before that.

"Okay, maybe a little drowsy... But anyway, what do you have their, Gwyn?"

"A present for my favourite little sister. Though, I can't seem to find her anywhere...have you seen her around, Rusty~?"

'Rusty' gasped and pouted as her Gwyn giggled, reaching over and pinching her sister's freckled cheeks, that matched her own. "Awe, don't worry, Rusty. I'm just kidding~" The pout let up, Rusty offering a happy smile as she watched Gwyn return to opening up the box. She watched curiously as her older sister brought out something which was a bright orange.

Gwyn moved, seating herself down next to her sister, and upon closer inspection, it seemed to be a bright orange...wig? Rusty's eyes seemed to widen in surprise as she leaned forwards from the propped up bed. "Ah, ah, ah, Rusty~ Stay still. This will only take a moment, I promise." She leaned over and gingerly moved the cap from her sister's head, ignoring the patches of short stubbly blue as she slipped the long haired wig onto Rusty's head.

Leaning back, the older of the two brushed the over grown fringe out of her sister's minty green eyes, taking out another object from the box. She moved, leaning down and plugging in the curler to the near by socket, then happily beginning to silently curl her little sister's wig. 

"Thank you Gwyn! But...aren't you starting at that fancy school soon?"

"Anything for you, my little dime~ And don't you worry about that Rusty, not even Atlas Academy could stop me from celebrating my little sister's Birthday! You...didn't forget again, did you?"

"My birth- Oh! Oh yeah, sorry Gwyn. I seem to be forgetting the time in here, you know?"

"Mm, I suppose so. But still, it's your 11th today Rusty, so I hope youenjoy your gift." Gwyn cheerfully replied, curling the fringe inwards as her sister resisted the urge to nod, grinning brightly as she chimed, "I love it!Thank you, Gwyn!" 

~ P.O.V change ~

"Gwyn-"

"Gwyn-"

"Gwyneira!" 

I blinked, eyes snapping open as I immediately held my stinging wrist. I looked around, an annoyed look taking over my features as my eyes locked onto the bright green eyes of the blonde woman I'd come to know as 'Glynda'. She sighed and crossed her arms, "You dozed off again, Gwyneira."

"Well of course I did, witch. I mean, all this talk about Maidens and reincarnationis seriously hard to keep up with, Glynda..." 

She sighed, a look of understanding crossing her face as she shook her head. 

"I have no idea what Ozpin has planned, taking on a child as a teacher. He must be losing it."

"For your information, I'm almost 19. Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious as to why Oz wants me on his team. I get the whole 'good with kids' and 'a great fighter' bit but...I don't know, I feel a bit off."

"Ozpin always does go by his own plans. He's not one to share everything with those around him, but in all of my years I've never met anyone with so much conviction and talent at guiding people onto the right path."

I snorted and nodded as I stood, stretching. "You're right. It's only been a month and Ozpin has already got me to do things I wouldn't have dreamed of doing. I truly think I've found my calling~ ....Or some nonsense like that. Shall we continue,Glynda?" 

"Very well. Open you tears and we shall start from the beginning!"

I gave an audible grunt, face planting the table in annoyance. This was going to be a long day...