Chapter One ~ Not a Morning Person

*Olivia's Point of View*

I woke up a daze. My vision was cloudy and my eyelids felt heavy under the morning sun.

Forcing my forest-green eyes open, I stared at the bland ceiling above me. Old stickers spotted the ceiling ranging from fish, to princesses, to stars; evidence from past phases in my uneventful childhood.

My giant quilt that normally lay across my bed was half-covering my body, half-slouched on the wooden floor.

One of my legs were bare, out in the open, covered only by a small pair of shorts that I bought two years ago.

I threw the remaining half of my quilt off me, causing it to slide over the edge of the bed, landing in a heap on the floor. I huffed a sigh as I stumbled off the expensive mattress that sat on my canopy bed frame. José can fix it later.

I walked pass my dresser and caught a glimpse of my self in the full length mirror. My bright blonde hair was tangled and didn't even reach my stomach like it normally did. I couldn't even imagine trying to brush through all the knots. But I was going to have to if I wanted to look decent today. So people would think well of me.

I trudged into my bathroom and picked up my blue hairbrush. Almost a fourth of the bristles had been ripped out trying to tame my wild mane in the mornings. I should have tossed it, but somehow I have grown attached. I probably won't throw it away until there is one bristle left.

I sucked in a breath and placed my brush at the top of my head. I pulled it down my scalp and the bristles ran through the blonde strands. I prayed that this battle between my hair and hairbrush didn't rip all of my hair right off my head. I reached all the way to my chin before the bristle got caught in a thick knot. I tugged and yanked at my golden locks until it lay flat against my sides.

I pulled out my curling iron and plugged it in, letting it heat up. Setting it down I walked into my closet and stared at my outfit laying against a chair in the corner. It was a short blue skirt that reached my lower thigh and a white T-shirt that had a picture of me and my parents at Disneyworld; the one time they weren't consumed in their work.

I peeled off my night clothes and pulled on my t-shirt. After putting on my skirt, I neatly tucked the ends of my shirt into the band of blue fabric around my waist, just like Mom taught me. I hurried out of the closet, with renewed energy and grabbed my curling iron. Grabbing a small chunk of hair, I tightly wrapped it around the barrel. After waiting for exactly 12 seconds, like it says on the instructions so my hair won't burn off, I released my hold. What used to be a dead-straight piece of straw was now a strand of golden perfection.

As I was spraying hairspray on the finished product, Salome barged into the room.

"Vi! Oli- there you are!" She called, her head topped with her tall chef's hat poking around the doorframe.

"Morning!" I cooed as the stench of hairspray faded. She walked over to me and wrapped her petite arms around my waist.

I was caught off guard and stumbled back a bit. After a moment of confusion I slowly brought my arm over her shoulder and patted her back. She knew how I didn't like contact. It made me feel like I was being enclosed in a tiny box, ready to be shipped to Death-Camp. But, for some reason, she ignored my pleas on my birthday.

She pulled away and faced me with a wide grin as she whispered to me, "Happy Birthday, Hon."

I smiled at her and dodged her small frame as I walked out of the cramped bathroom. I almost reached the bedroom door when I felt eyes peircing my head. I turned around and locked eyes with Salome.

"Thank you," I called. With that I grabbed my phone off the charger and ran downstairs.

When I entered the kitchen, all the lights were off and on the breakfast table was a cake with a single candle placed in the corner. I walked over and my mom appeared through the doors and started singing "Happy Birthday" to me.

Without any warning my dad appeared and joined in. I smiled and sat down in the chair facing the fresh baked cake.

As they reach the middle of the song, more people shuffled into the room. Those people being the staff here at home. Maids, chefs, gardeners, and butlers.

They all sang together. Not the best chorus, but it was from the heart. Or at least they were good actors.

The song came to a close and they all looked at me as I stared at the cake. It is red velvet with chocolate icing. The sides were perfectly flat and had decorative icing along the bottom and top. On the cake it said, "Happy Birthday" in red, perfect lettering. No 'Olivia'. No '18'. Just the same, basic design since I was born.

I closed my eyes and thought about my wish. More like, got ready to wish it. I had been thinking about what I wanted to wish for since my last birthday. Probably because I wished for it last year. And every year before that.

For Zach Collins to notice me.

Every year I spied from afar as he flirted with girls. If only I could be that girl. Maybe this year will be different. Maybe my true love will notice me.

I opened my eyes and blew out the single candle. I barely had anytime to lift my head before the lights snapped on, blinding me.

My mom walked over to my chair and kissed my forehead. I didn't even get a word out to her before she rushed out of the room, pulling out her phone.

My dad just gave me a smile before he snuck out of the kitchen. I sighed and took a fork, stabbing it right into the center, smearing the delacate writing on top.

I shoved a huge bite right into my mouth and almost moaned at how good it tasted. Chocolatey flavors flooded through my mouth and my tastebuds danced all over my tongue.

After I ushered them back into place I wrapped up the cake in sticky plastic wrap and set it on the counter.

I walked to the front doors and slipped on some old converse and grabbed my keys. After shouting a quick goodbye to a seemingly empty house, I rushed out of the door with my backpack slung lazily over my shoulder.

I ran to my red Convertible and hoped right over the door. It was May 17th so the seats weren't too hot, but still hot enough to cause a 'yelp' to jump out of my mouth.

Twisting the key in the engine, my car purred to life. With a final nod, I headed off to school.

The awkward actions of the morning played through my mind like a poorly-filmed movie. Everyone smiled, but did it ever reach their eyes? They sang for me, and wished me good things, but did they actually mean it? Or were they just doing it to get paid?

No! I-I forgot my pills this morning.

Every morning, I'm supposed to take this small, pink pill to help me get through the day. Maybe, somewhere in my brain, I thought today would end up fine since it was my day.

Maybe I thought wrong.

I sure hope this day goes well.

~~~~~~