Chapter Three

Lynxpaw opened her eyes and closed them tightly as bright light stung her eyes. She opened them slowly and blinked as a shadow crossed her vision. She heard a voice in her ear.
    "You were lucky to escape with so few injuries." the voice said. Lynxpaw shifted over and looked up into the kind dull brown eyes of the clan's medicine cat Kindleheart. He looked sorry for Lynxpaw.
    "W-what....?" she mumbled. Kindleheart made a sympathetic face.
    "You fainted after....." Kindleheart started trailing off, glancing back at her.
    "Darkfeather!" She exclaimed. Kindleheart looked sad.
    "His vigil is at moonrise. Its sunhigh now." Kindleheart murmured, looking away. Lynxpaw stared at him blankly. Kindleheart stared back for a few seconds and turned his back to her and scooped out some seeds on a leaf for her and nudged them to her.
    "Take these." he said moving to the back of the den without another word. Lynxpaw lapped them up obediently and rested her head on the moss and quickly sunk into a sleep filled with nightmares.
. . .

    Lynxpaw gradually awoke to a warm body curled next to hers. She blinked her eyes open to a soft silver face a whisker away from hers. "Silverpaw?" Silverpaw opened her pale yellow eyes and leaned back, looking down.
    "I can't believe he's really gone." Silverpaw whispered, almost inaudible. Lynxpaw looked down.
    "I know." Lynxpaw replied. There was a stretch of silence and then Kindleheart poked his head in.
    "It's time for the vigil." He said solemnly. Lynxpaw got up and Silverpaw followed more slowly. Lynxpaw stepped out into the barren cold clearing and fluffed up her fur. The cold night air stung her nose and she was reminded that it was getting close to the middle of leaf fall when the leaves started falling. She pressed against her sister with a shiver.
    She saw cats coming out of their dens to mourn a brown and tan body. The walk up to Darkfetaher's body felt like the hardest journey she would ever make. Staring down at his unmoving tabby stripes felt surreal. The crowd parted and looked at Lynxpaw as she sank to the ground, trembling.
    Lynxpaw put her muzzle in his cold fur. The herbs Kindleheart had put on his body didn't mask the stench of death well enough. She felt her sister settle down beside her and her mother across from her. Lynxpaw stretched her head out and rested it on his stiff shoulders.
    She felt tears fill her eyes and pressed her face into his dark striped fur. The battle scene replayed in her mind. Branchpaw letting his limp body fall and Lionleap's eyes staring at her. Lynxpaw shuddered. What kind of cat would kill another?