Ch.8

"Oh, honey, that's terrible," Mrs. Mardue pulls me into a hug and I start to cry more. "Shh, honey, sh. Who needs men anyway?"

I let out a broken laugh, "you have a husband, Mrs. Mardue."

"I wouldn't if he really met me. We never even had children. Ha! I would've gotten kids so fast if he wanted them," Mrs. Mardue smiles down at me.

I let out another laugh and stand to blow my nose, "you have two children, Mardue."

She smiles fondly at me, "I know. I've always wanted another. And I've got one."

I quickly finish blowing my nose and Mrs. Mardue comes closer to hug me. I put my head on her shoulder and stand there, letting her warmth consume me.

"Want to bake some cupcakes," Mrs. Mardue asks me after a few minutes.

"Only if they're red velvet. Those are a kicker," I say back. Mrs. Mardue nods and leaves to the kitchen.

I follow behind her and start to pull ingredients out of cupboards and cabinets. I put them all down on the counter and go to preheat the oven.

When I turn, I head Mrs. Mardue talking to a customer, "yes. Well, we're making cupcakes now."

I couldn't hear the other person but I assumed they would be taking the cupcakes that Mrs. Mardue and I would be making.

"What kind? Red velvet," Mrs. Mardue says. More of the other person I couldn't hear and then, a gasp. "For a girl?! We'll have them done right away!"

Mrs. Mardue comes back into the kitchen and urges me to continue. I laugh at her and start on the cupcakes.

Mrs. Mardue starts to put away ingredients that I've already used. She moves in silence before speaking.

"You know, people can fall in love at any time, right," she asks. Taken of guard, I make a questioning noise. "People can fall in love at any time. Whether it be a day or over their entire life."

I look down at my hands, "yeah... yeah, I know. I just... I don't know. I'm just not ready for it. What would my parents say? What would they think?"

"Well, I think it's great," Mrs. Mardue smiles at me and puts one batch of cupcakes into the oven. "I think being in love is an amazing feeling."

"I'm sure it is," I say before going back to work. We were going to be making two batches but the customer that came in was going to get one of them. "Who came in for the cupcakes?"

"Ah, just some boy. A little taller than you, probably in high school. I don't know him that well and I doubt you do."

"That makes sense. You know everyone who comes into this small shop."

Mrs. Mardue gives me a smirk paired with a glare. I didn't fully understand but I laughed at it.

"Your jab at my store is true," Mrs. Mardue starts to walk towards me. "But only I am allowed to make fun of my store," she says, giving me a noogie.

"Ah! Okay, okay! I understand," I cry out. Mrs. Mardue pulls away and laughs. I laugh with her.

A bell rings and Mrs. Mardue looks at me, "looks like I have work to attend to. Good luck with the cupcakes."

Mrs. Mardue walks out of the kitchen but not to where the customers would be. I assume her husband care home but I didn't really know.

I continue on the cupcakes and finish work on getting the second batch ready for the oven. Now to wait for Mrs. Mardue to come back and the first batch to finish in the oven.

After a good 45 minutes, the first batch was done. I put the cupcakes in their container and go to hand it to Mrs. Mardue. When I try to, I notice that Mrs. Mardue is nowhere in the room.

"Mrs. Mardue," I call out, questioning. Where could she be? She couldn't have disappeared. She wouldn't leave me alone like that.

I walk into the next room over and call out, "Mrs. Mardue? You in here?"

No response. I sigh. I'll have to deliver this to the customer then. I go back to the kitchen and walk into the customer place.

I look around and see many empty tables. There's no one here. I groan, fake orders are the worst. I turn back to go into the kitchen when a voice stops me.

"Hello? Are the cupcakes done," says the person. I'm guessing it's the person who ordered the cupcakes.

I close my eyes and think about the voice. Why does it seem so familiar? Why does it seem like I know this person?

I turn around and hear a gasp. I open my eyes and then it's my turn to gasp.

"Peter?"

"(Y/N)?"

We asked at the same time.