VIII

"Ehem." Hermann cleared his throat and Newt slowly opened his eyes to find Hermann standing in front of him with a paper towel in his hand. "I just had to get a towel from behind you." Newt felt his face turn bright red. "To um..." he trailed off and mimed wiping his face.

"No, yeah I know. I-I know you were I was just uh-I was just closing my eyes for a second because um I have a- uh I have a little headache so I was just uh resting my eyes for a minute... yeah." Newt stumbled over his words trying to come up with an excuse. Hermann smiled and nodded at the obvious lie.

"Right." He said quietly. "Now if you'd hold still for a moment." Hermann took a step closer and put a hand on Newt's chin to gently support him as he held him steady. Newt was backed up against the sink and had both hands back on the counter the keep him up incase his knees buckled from swooning too hard. Newt's breath caught in his throat as he watched Hermann lean in once again. He kept his eyes open this time, watching Hermann's eyes lock onto his lips. He subconsciously licked them and swallowed and for a second Hermann's gaze flickered to his eyes, making him blush and look away completely un-suspiciously. Hermann wiped at the corner of his mouth with the towel but his hand lingered on Newt's face next to his lips. Newt looked back up and saw that Hermann's eyes were on him, meeting his own eyes. Newt decided to look anywhere but at Hermann which brought his eyes up to the ceiling where hanging from a little string dangled an all too familiar toxic plant.

"Mistletoe." He whispered to himself, mentally cursing as he realized he had spoken out loud. This caused Hermann to look up as well. He swallowed hard and tried to think of something else to say as he felt his face redden. "Why do you uh have mistletoe up here? I thought you lived here alone." He said way too quickly.

"I do indeed stay here alone but," He paused to smile. "but that's besides the point. Staying here alone doesn't mean I won't follow Christmas tradition." He took a step closer and rubbed his thumb across Newt's cheek letting his hands fall, then folding them behind his back.

"Right." Newt nodded, he felt his brain going fuzzy and his heart beating so hard he could swear he could see his sweater moving. "It uh- well it is tradition." He replied, not knowing what else to say. He met Hermann's gaze again and licked his lips. He felt a little kick of confidence and spoke. "I'm not one to needlessly break tradition." He smiled a tiny hopeful smile.

"Neither am I." Hermann replied, stepping impossibly closer. "But does the tradition only cover Christmas Day?" He asked almost teasing.

"I'm pretty sure it includes the whole season." Newt nodded, pretending to be sure of himself. "And we wouldn't wanna take any chances." He added quickly.

"You're right. It's best not to take any chances." Hermann smiled leaning so their noses were touching. He pulled back a bit. "Unless~"

Newt grabbed both sides of his face and pulled him down into a kiss as he pushed himself up onto his tiptoes. For a split second he was scared he had just made the worst decision in his entire life but then he felt Hermann kiss back. He felt himself leaning in even closer and he tripped forward a bit falling back on his heels letting one of his hands slip from Hermann's face to rest on his chest. Hermann pushed back and continued to kiss him, leaning him against the sink once again. Newt's other hand traveled from Hermann's cheek to the back of his head while Hermann timidly placed his hands on Newt's waist. Newt smiled into the kiss almost laughing at the contrast between the teasing and the intensity of the kiss opposed to the un-sureness and the feather-light touch on his waist. He found himself twirling his fingers in Hermann's hair as he rubbed up and down his chest and he felt Hermann's hands slowly sliding down from his waist to his hips. Newt pulled back to take a breath and felt a grin spread across his face. He  ducked his head down and touched his fingers to his lips almost as if saying 'wow that really just happened'.

"So you were saying unless...?" Newt smiled cheekily, looking up again and batting his eyelashes only half jokingly.

"Mein Gott." Hermann whispered to himself grabbing Newt by his hips and pulling him back in. Newt let out a little excited giggle right before their lips met again. If Hermann hadn't been literal inches away from him he'd probably be doing a little happy dance. Newt broke the kiss again but only to grab Hermann by the front of his sweater and walk backwards with him til he could hop up on the counter. Hermann brought their lips together once again. He then moved his hands to slowly slide up and down Newt's thighs. Newt wouldn't've said he gasped per se, he just quietly sucked in a breath out of shock.

"Shit okay." He broke the kiss to smile and spread his legs further, giving Hermann room to stand closer. "Bit forward aren't we, Mr. Gottlieb?" Newt teased, not having much affect as he was saying this breathlessly.

"I'll stop anything you protest to." Hermann leaned forward to whisper in his ear. "And it's Dr. Gottlieb." He slid his hands up and around to the backs of Newt's thighs where he settled on The Booty™ grabbing and lifting him. Newt immediately threw his arms around Hermann's neck and wrapped his legs around his waist. Hermann started to walk them out of the kitchen.

"So where are you taking me, handsome?" Newt broke away from the kiss to whisper against his lips but spoke again before Hermann had a chance to respond. "Oh! My apologies! Where are you taking me Doctor Handsome?" He smiled and leaned back a bit to gauge Hermann's reaction.

"I," Hermann smiled, pressing their noses together. "Am taking you~" He laid him down on his back in front of the fire detaching the arms and legs from where they were wrapped around him. "Back to rest." He had returned back to his regular tone rather than the low whisper he had been using just seconds ago.

"What?!" Newt flopped down on his back with an exasperated sigh. "For real?"

"You're still sick." Hermann said firmly.

"If I'm so sick then why'd you kiss me then? Hmm? Check and mate." Newt sat up and crossed his arms.

"If I'm remembering correctly it's you who kissed me." Hermann said, tapping his chin.

"Yeah but you were gonna kiss me first." Newt argued.

"Oh was I?" Hermann leaned in.

"I believe you were." Newt smiled leaning in as well to leave only a tiny gap between them.

"Maybe I was." Hermann met his lips for only second to just give him a peck before pulling away. Newt leaned further forward and huffed when he was met by nothing but air. Hermann laughed as he disappeared into the kitchen and Newt just flopped onto his back with a sigh.