Moonlight

"The river rushes to meet the trees as they gather together in the moonlight,

their leaves dressed in slivers of silver."
________________________

"I'm going to get you back by the way," I told Livius as we stepped into the forest hand in hand.

"For what?" he asked, a smirk plastered on his annoyingly beautiful face.

"For the idiotic stunt you pulled while I was talking to my mother," I retorted, rolling my eyes as he chuckled and pulled me deeper into the woods.

The sun was setting, and the full moon slowly rose before us, a fall breeze now running through the dead trees, causing me to shiver.

I spoke up again, "It might take her awhile to start liking you."

Livius immediately knew whom I was talking about. He shrugged, "I'm not really worried about that."

I giggled at his confidence, biting my lip as he gave me a pointed look.

"We'll shift here," my mate said, coming to a stop, and I quirked a brow before slowly nodding.

I watched as he stepped behind a tree, only to return after a few minutes as a pale white wolf, his blue eyes contrasting with the color of his fur.

No one could deny his glory, not even a human.

I smiled softly, kneeling down in front of him so I could run a hand through his thick coat, and he purred at the contact, leaning closer.

The last time I had seen him in this form, he had saved my life from a vampire that wanted to bring the queen my head.

I shivered at the memory.

Slowly, I got up, and rolled my eyes as Livius whined in protest. I stepped behind a large tree, and stripped off the oversized hoodie I had on, before shifting into my light brown wolf.

Hesitantly, I stepped out from behind the tree, only to find Livius sitting there. Cerulean blue eyes met my own, and he cocked his large head, ears perked up.

I walked towards him, and he got up, eyes sparking with curiosity, as I nuzzled his chest, internally chuckling as he let out a resounding growl.

Before I knew it I was on my back, his large form towering over my wolf before he leaned down and licked my face, his large tongue brushing over my fur, and I paused in my movements, allowing him to look down at me.

He pulled back, giving me a wolfish smirk and I chose to take advantage of the opportunity, slipping out from underneath him, and shocking his wolf

I gave him a playful bark, before running ahead.

After a few moments, I heard his wolf behind me, large paws crunching against the leaves, and I ran faster, the forest whizzing by as I hopped over logs, and avoided tree stumps.

I hadn't done this in so long.

It was always difficult to run back at home, although I loved it. I couldn't find it in me to risk being caught by a human. I didn't know how someone would react if they found a big ass wolf in a local forest.

But here? Here I could run as far and as fast as I wanted with no hesitation.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Livius caught up to me, and I found myself underneath him again.

I pawed at his face as he nipped at my ear, careful not to hurt me with his large canines.

We stayed like that for awhile, rolling around in the leaves, before he stiffened, suddenly lifting his head to survey the area.

Slowly, he pulled away, facing whatever it was he sensed, his ears perked up, and tail fluffed. His blue eyes were alight with a lethal curiosity, and he sniffed the area.

After a few minutes of silence, the only sound being the rustling leaves that resisted the cold breeze, he turned back to me, form once again relaxed.

I cocked my head at him, shooting him a questioning look, but he simply shook his head before gesturing for me to follow him.

I whined, pawing at the ground. Silently insisting that he tell me what just happened.

He gave me a warning look, and I huffed, rolling my eyes before falling into step beside him.

I'd question him later.

We ran through the forest, heading towards a destination entirely unknown to me.

Slowly, we neared a small cliff and I ran towards the end so I could see the valley, but Livius mistook my excitement for reckless curiosity.

He swiftly stepped in front of me, ensuring that I didn't run off and break my skull.

Wow, everyone is looking after me today.

How wonderful.

I gave him a low growl, and he replied with an offended look.

Stepping past him, I settled down close to the edge of the cliff, and he followed, coming to lay down beside me.

I leaned closer to him, cuddling into his chest, as his head rested on my shoulder.

We sat under the moonlight, the area illuminated with a gentle light, and for just a moment, I managed to get lost in the dream I was living with him by my side.