Slateport Ball Ch. 27

May's POV

For the next two days, Drew did his best to avoid me. He wouldn't approach me, stayed quiet around me, never met my gaze, and would leave when I would try to confront him.

I walked beside Misty and Serena in the halls. We were talking on our way to class.

"I... uh.. Ash asked me out on a date earlier..." Serena said quietly.

"Congratulations!" Misty grinned.

I patted her on the back. "I always knew you two'd get together at some point."

Serena put on a bashful look. "T-Thanks..."

We talked about some random little things like about the school or what was going on around us when Drew suddenly passed by. I looked up and glanced at him but he continued walking, not daring to make eye contact with me. I felt my heart sink.

"May... you should really talk to him..." Serena said softly.

"Yeah, you guys aren't talking like you just broke up or something. You need to fix whatever's going on," Misty said.

"I would, but I don't even know what is going on yet," I sighed as we walked into class.

====================

"Alright class, settle down," The teacher said as he entered the room. Everyone went to their seats and sat down, all eyes on the teacher.

"As you know, the students from LaRousse High will be staying here until Friday. On that day, the school has decided to hold a ball," The teacher announced.

The room immediately filled up with excited chatter. The teacher coughed into his fist to gain everyone's attention.

"If I may continue, please," He glared. The class murmured apologizes and the teacher spoke again. "The dance will be formal- so wear dresses, suits, dress shoes, etc. Some of you from the orchestra, band, choir, and theater courses will play onstage, though you should already know who you are. Also..."

I turned my head and looked out the window. "It's already Thursday, why would they tell us this now?" I puffed out a breath of air. "But a ball... huh..."

I turned my head and saw Dawn gushing excitedly about it, practically shaking in her seat. Paul, who sat next to her, placed a firm hand on her shoulder and shook her out of it. Dawn turned to him with a heated glare and they started bickering quietly. I chuckled a bit when I noticed the slight pink on the blunette's cheeks.

I turned back to the window and froze. The ball was going to be formal, meaning dresses and jewelry. Dawn likes dresses and jewelry. And she also knew who my mother was. There was no way she would miss that opportunity.

I slowly turned my head to Dawn's seat just in time to see her make eye contact with me. There was a sharp, mischievous glint in her eyes.

====================

At lunch, we all sat in our usual spots under the giant tree- except for Drew who decided to sit at the corner of the table farthest from me. I let out a long, troubled sigh before I noticed Ash and Serena coming up to us hand in hand.

"I knew it!!!" Dawn squealed as she lunged at the newly-formed couple. "I knew there was something going on with you guys! I ship it so much!!"

Ash and Serena chuckled. "Uh... t-thanks, Dawn."

They sat down and everyone began eating while making small talk.

A few moments later, Kuren brought up the Slateport Ball. "So you guys excited?"

Dawn jumped up, only to be brought back down by Misty's hand on her shoulder. "Definitely! Oh- I'm SO excited!! All the dresses, the gowns, the music, the food, the DRESSES!"

She turned to me in the tree with wide, startling eyes. "May! You have to help me pick a dress!"

I shook my hands in protest. "S-Sorry, but I'm not too good when it comes to fashion yet. I could have my mom help you though?" I told her. The last statement sounded more like a question since I wasn't sure if Mom would say yes.

"That's GREAT!" Dawn squealed as she started gushing out incoherent nonsense. Everyone glanced at her with a slightly frightened look.

I looked at Drew to see him looking around the courtyard with a distant look. I frowned.

====================

When we got home, I quickly changed into some comfortable clothes before going to Mom's study. She was in her desk with her reading glasses on as she skimmed through a book.

"Uh... Mom..?" I asked as I walked through the door and towards her.

"May! What is it, dear?" She asked as she took off her glances and set down her book.

"I was wondering if you could help us with our clothes for the ball uh... tomorrow..." I said awkwardly as I rubbed the back of my neck. When I looked at her in the eyes, I saw the same excited glint Dawn had whenever she went shopping.

"I'd love to! I could make all your clothes if you want to! Just get me everyone's measurements and I'll be good to go! They could also ask me if they want their outfits in any way, any jewelry, their shoes- ah! You said by tomorrow, correct? Will the ball be in the morning or after school?" Mom asked.

"Um, in the afternoon, I think... They still need to set up for it," I told her.

Mom nodded and took out a pen, notepad, and measuring tape before shoving it in my hands. "Alright! Take their measurements for me and write them on that notepad and give it to me when you're done! And could you get any detail they want on their outfit, too? Thank you! I'll have my assistants help and we'll be done by the time you all come back from school tomorrow! Now go on! I'll work on the sketch for your dress first!"

I sweat dropped as I watched her quickly run her pencil over her sketch pad. I then looked at the things in my hands and sighed before walking out of the room.

"It's gonna be so weird to measure the guys...."

I forced myself out of my hole to write this... Also, we're nearing the end of the book! Isn't that something! Thanks for reading!

P.S. Happy late new year!!

~Crystal

Word Count: 1063

1/ 4/19