The Fall of the Russian Empire

History tells us that the Russian Empire was destroyed in 1917. However, history has also neglected to tell us that the beginning of the end of the Russian empire began 20 years earlier, in 1897.

That was when the werewolves and vampires attacked the Empire.

Of course, this was a long time coming, as for many years, there was a bitter rivalry between the Romanov family and the vampires and werewolves. Since Nicholas had taken over Russia instead of Alexander, the Snoweagles and the wolf packs were angry with Nicholas for becoming Czar and all but declared war on the unpopular Russian monarch. This happened when Nicholas publicly announced that he and his wife would adopt little Hadassah Smirnov against the wishes of Hadassah's father (Leo Trichenberg) and great-grandfather (Magorious Hoffelbax). Leo declared himself as Hadassah's father and Magorious destroyed the members of the imperial council and the noble families that supported the Romanov family since Peter the Great's reign.

But we'll deal with that later.

As many people enjoyed a subdued New Year's celebration all over Russia, Nicholas and the remaining council members met in his office to decide the next course of action they would take. Hundreds of people were dead while thousands more had been displaced. Yet none of them were allowed to leave Russia under pain of death; most of those people who fled were ordered to return to their villages.

Nicholas looked over the reports of deaths, beatings, and other atrocities committed against the people as Leo, David, and Simon looked on. Most of the council members were dismissed from the Imperial Court and the men were looking to find their replacements.

Leo said, "I'm certain Dmitriy had one foot in the council and another foot in the government. A man like him should have known better."

"He should," said Simon. "Yet he's cruel and he wants to see us in pain. His father was killed during the Crimean War and he blamed your grandfather for that, as if it was his fault that war began in the first place. I wouldn't put anything past him to destroy us for the damage we did to his family."

"Except we never caused any damage to his family whatsoever," said Sir David. "If anything, you should have objected to the Crimean war, especially since it took the lives of your sons Gideon and Zebediah."

"Indeed, but we can deal with the hitherto of war later," said Simon. "Right now, we have an unholy priest to go after, and that unholy priest is looking to destroy a part of your family for existing."

"If Magorious Hoffelbax isn't already doing that," said Leo. "Don't forget, he raped Serra during the celebration of Nicholas's coronation and kidnapped Anastasia Smirnov after killing her entire family. He has a vendetta against the Smirnov family for what they did to his granddaughter; I'm sure he's planning to go after the Romanov family for keeping his great-granddaughter away from him."

"I've noticed," said Nicholas. "But I can't deal with Magorious and his allies all the time; I have a country to run and another baby on the way. Olga doesn't know she's getting a younger sibling and Hadassah has yet to meet what remains of Jessica's family. I don't know how we're going to get rid of Dmitriy without inciting panic and condemnation from the people."

"We should, if only to expose his sinful crimes to the people," said Leo. "He tried to destroy my family and the Moonbeam clan attacked two of my daughters. I worry for Vasily and Raina, as Magorious now has his designs on Raina, just as he had his designs on Serra. Lara, however, was given to his lieutenant and I'm sure she's miserable being his mate."

"I know," said Sir David. "I wish I could bring George Shapiro back to life and zap him for being cruel and inconsiderate towards Magorious. Maybe that's why that awful man is tormenting my grandchildren."