Chapter Eleven

He isn't really waiting for me. In fact, he has already finished his food. A place has been set for me though. A large white bowl of chicken salad and a smaller dish with a scoop of rice sits perfectly on the center of the placemat.

He looks up from his tablet, and blinks at me as I awkwardly wave. "Hi."

He cocks an eyebrow. "Hello."

"Sorry for the late notice," I sit down, noticing how the place mat and seat are several inches down the table like when I moved it the first time I dined with him. It almost makes me laugh.

"No need to apologize. Is there something you wanted to discuss with me?"

"Yes," I pull the folded napkin cloth and place it in my lap like my mother taught me years ago, and I look over the salad.

Fresh cut vegetables, dried cranberries, and even some oranges thrown into the mix. It looks delicious, despite never being a big salad person. The thought makes me feel guilty. There are dozens of people starving in the void right now, and here I am, rejecting his offers to five star meals every night out of pride.

"I wanted to ask you what I'm training for."

It's not exactly the question I want to ask, but it's a good start.

"We will be flying to district one, the capital, where several other Commanders are meeting to present their half-blood to the Chancellor."

I nearly choke on the first bite I take. "Wait, what?"

"You, as well as other half-bloods, will be presented to the Chancellor to show your power."

I shake my head, practically dropping my fork in the bowl. "You've gotta be shitting me." I don't realize I've said it out loud until I meet his gaze.

He has completely dismissed his paperwork now, focusing on me. "Does that present a problem for you?"

"I didn't know—the Chancellor... Seriously?" How could I be so stupid? This is a complete disaster. If the Casters follow me there they'll be sure to kill him. I'm a walking talking target, and now I'm going to lead the Casters right to a person they may want more than me. "Isn't that kind of dangerous? Having so many half-blood Casters near the Chancellor?"

He gives me a white half-smile. One that would make any girls knees melt except mine.

"And now you suddenly care about the Chancellors well-being? Wasn't it just last week you were expressing your disapproval?"

I ignore his last remark. "What kind of protection does he have in place?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Will the other Caster's—do you think they'll attack?"

"We have been monitoring every kingdoms movements, and there hasn't been any red flags recently... Are you actually concerned about the Chancellor, or someone else?"

"Why do you keep answering my questions with a question?"

"Why do you?"

I slam my hands against the table, mostly by accident, but he doesn't even flinch. His smile only fades.

I try to steady my breathing. Try to take hold of frustration. "I need a few things."

"Like?"

"Some herb things... for a potion."

"A potion?" He clasps his hands in front of his chin. "I'm intrigued."

"If I make a list, will you allow Pierce or someone to get the ingredients?"