Goodbye Paper Planes

The night's cool breeze blew against my warm skin.

I stepped out to the balcony to find my fiancé sitting by the tea table. On the table, next to her, was an empty box and lots of papers; new, folded, crushed and scattered, surrounding her, on the ground and the table.

"Mother nature is going to cry if she saw you do this..." I said and smile in a resigned manner. My fiancé looked up at me knowingly before going back to her paper folding.

I sat across her at the tea table, merely observing her hands as she cut, fold and press the edges of the papers together, making perfect crease lines on the pristine white papers which glowed mystically under the moonlit night.

I've noticed that she's been into origami lately. Folding mainly paper planes. The reason why, I know not but, her mysteriousness is one of everything that I love about her.

I took a piece of paper nearby and joined in her origami spree.

Before I knew it, she's made a total of seven paper planes, ranging in different sizes from normal sized ones, descending to miniature sized. She placed them carefully into the empty box and stood up, stepping towards the railings of the balcony. My eyes trailed along her graceful movements as my own hands naturally stopped.

She started to breath in deeply, the night's cool air, as if enveloping and embracing its scent.

As I look at her small back, I was reminded of the first time I saw her. Her small figure was unbearably fragile as she bumped into me, colliding against my chest. That time, I was so sure she was about to break from the impact... but I was wrong; she didn't.

"What are you thinking right now?" She asked suddenly, cutting off my train of thoughts, back still facing me. I failed to notice, however.

The question wasn't directed at me.

My eyes soften and I spoke, "I was thinking..." I paused to breath. Thinking twice of what I was about to say before deciding on taking back my thoughts of the past. "No, never mind. What are you going to do with those planes?" I asked.

She finally turned around to look at me.

Her eyes glistened light-heartedly as she said, "Let's write on them!"

Back on her chair, she started immediately with her brief and simple explanation.

"This big paper plane her, is the heart-breaking love and this here," she pointed to the second sized plane, "is the never progressing love".

As she continued on her explanation in a descending order by size, I came to understand what she meant.

Throwing away her past loves...

After she completed her explanation, she handed me the smallest of the paper planes.

'The non-existent love, huh?' I thought to myself as I stared indifferently at the paper plane half the size of my palm. I peered at my fiancé as she wrote down names of the past in her delicate and cursive penmanship onto the wings of the paper planes, her eyes downcast and lips curved into a slight smile as if enjoying the taste of reminiscence.

I looked down at the paper plane at hand and started writing down names as well, keeping some blanks on certain paper planes.

Once everything was complete, she took the box containing all the paper planes, pressing it against her chest, and stood up once again, heading towards the railings of the balcony. She signaled me to follow her and I instinctively stood up, following her orders.

"We'll take turns throwing the paper planes starting from the largest," she said as she took out the biggest size amongst the seven paper planes from the box, "I'll go first."