New Year's Eve, 2357 local / T plus 11 hours, 57 minutes

London, England

From the Palace of Westminster, north to the Victoria Embankment, across Whitehall Gardens and in all the roads and alleyways between the buildings lining the west bank of the Thames, the crowds were thick, and silent.

As she pushed her way through the crowd, to where she thought the best vantage point might be, near to the Royal Air Force Memorial and opposite the London Eye, Maria Lewkowicz kept speaking into her phone, hoping it was still connected back to the newsroom in Pittsburgh. She was reporting live, and according to her boss back at WKTN, her broadcast was being shared across the states with other broadcasters and newscasts, as London approached the last few moments in history. 

"The fireworks fell silent almost ten minutes ago, set off at half past eleven on request of the royal family, who said earlier that 'their hearts and thoughts are with the people of Britain and the World tonight'. A celebration, perhaps, of life, and in a way, a fitting tribute to all who have already fallen. Before, the crowds here, much larger than is usual for New Year, the same in Trafalgar Square and other places, were a strange mix of sadness and jubilation. It was heartening to see so many people putting on a brave face, or perhaps, in their quaint British way, facing adversity without any outward show of fear.

"But now, the crowds are silent. A quiet hush of whispered conversation. Nearby, a large circle of people are holding hands. Around me, couples and small groups are embracing, some crying, others taking calmly and earnestly. From everywhere I can hear proclamations of love, or friendship. Very few people seem afraid or really frightened, and that is something to behold. 

"I'm opposite the London Eye now, its wheel ... wait a second ... all the lights just went off, I don't know why, but the London Eye is still lit up, and on the building nearby is now being projected a huge union flag, it's red, white and blue emblazoned over the face of the building... Oh, my. It's quite a sight and the crowd are stirring, reacting to the image! I can hear cheers starting from all around, growing in sound as you can no doubt hear. Now they're all cheering the flag and waving. Goodness, I'm having to shout now above the noise! It's really something!

"And, well, you can probably hear ... singing has started. It's something spontaneous, like it was planned all along ... oh, wow ... it's Jerusalem! The crowd is singing Jerusalem! ...It's magical. I hope you're hearing this...

"Behind the London Eye and the building with the union flag, the sky is taking on a golden hue ... my watch says twenty-three fifty-nine now... 

"It's nearly here...

"Oh Lord, have mercy on me..."