Chapter 7

I had a bit of a buzz when I saw Loke walk into the guild hall. I downed another drink and I watch him out of the corner of my eye. He seemed to be looking for someone and I hoped that it wasn't me. I was currently dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with my leather jacket over it and flip flops on my feet. I was in no state to be seen by someone attractive and I hadn't even bothered to brush my hair before leaving the apartment.

Mira comes over with another Walk Me Home in a Fishbowl and says, "[Y/N] I think you should slow down a bit, I know that you can drink Cana under the table but you don't usually try to, think about your poor liver."

I take my drink and say, "I think I'm going to go outside and get some air while I finish this." I stand up and make my way outside, carefully avoiding Loke's gaze, just in case he was looking for me because I wouldn't want to be seen by him in my current state.

I get outside successfully and take a breather before I go to a dark table outside in a corner by the wall and continue to drink, trying to drink away the traitorous emotions in my heart that I was feeling toward the man I had just avoided. I nurse my drink, happy that it was 10 times stronger than beer and tasted sweet. I watched the people walking by and imagined what their lives were like and why they were out so late.

That man and woman could be sweethearts heading home after seeing an opera, or that man could be going to meet a friend. That family could be going home after a long day of playing at a park.

I was taking a long drink of my booze when I heard a very distinct voice startle me out of my imagination, "You know, the flush to your cheeks really suits you, [Y/N]."

I freeze and slowly turn to look at the person whose voice I was hearing, hoping that my ears were playing tricks on me. To my dismay, they were not. The person who stood before me lit up by the candles on my table was Loke and he looked down at me with a tender expression with a spark of amusement in his eyes.

"Mira Jane tells me you've been drinking so much that the amount you've had could easily put Cana to sleep and yet you don't seem phased by it. Penny for your thoughts, my lady?" He asks, sitting down across from me at the table.

"Well I'm currently thinking that Lady Luck has abandoned me for the night."

His bemused smile turned into a confused frown. "And why would that be?"

"The alcohol isn't getting rid of feelings I shouldn't have and I was spotted looking like a hot mess by the exact person that I was hoping wouldn't see me. Clearly my luck has left for the night." I sigh.

I start drinking a bit more when he takes my drink and drinks out of it, seeming to make a point to use the straw I had been drinking from. My face gets hotter as an intrusive thought screams that that is an indirect kiss.

"This is sweet but it seems like too much alcohol for you, besides, we wouldn't want you getting too drunk. Some men would take advantage of someone as beauteous as you if you're not sober."

"Playboys like you?" I ask half joking, half serious.

He looks offended by the very thought, "Of course I wouldn't! I'd never take advantage of a woman under the influence. That's despicable. I think that a woman's sober consent is required for anything, whether it be a kiss or more...intimate." He look into my eyes, the light reflecting off his eyes revealing the flecks of green in them and I realized his eyes weren't dark blue as I had originally thought but a beautiful hazel.

I thought to myself, this man could not have said anything more attractive than that. "I was hoping you would say something like that."

"And why is that?" He asks, seemingly confused.

"It speaks volumes of your character and says that you are a good person. Some men wouldn't care about consent." I smile softly at him.

"I'm glad you think so." He smiles. "Now, let's see about getting you home safe and sound." He says downing the rest of my drink.

"Fine but you owe me a drink because you took mine." I stand up.

"Only to keep your liver from hating you in the morning and I would love to take you out for a drink any other day." He says, handing me a large bottle of water. I take it and he stands and puts his hand on the small of my back to gently lead me back home.

"Thanks for the water." I smile and take a sip as we walk towards home together. "So tell me something about you, what goes on in that mind of yours?"

"Like what?" He asks.

"Like... what do you fear the most?" I ask putting the lid back on the bottle.

"Aren't we digging deep?" He smirks then his face is serious as he says, "The thing I fear most... I am afraid that another key holder might die because of me."

I instinctively reach up and gently cup his face in my hand and say, "Loke, that wasn't your fault. It was her fault. Aries tells me that she is grateful for what you did and that it was your previous key holder's fault that she did that. She was the one who made that decision and it cost her her life." I gently stroke his cheek with my thumb and he closes his eyes and nuzzles into my palm kinda like an affectionate cat would.

He opens his eyes and looks at me adoringly, "You're right."

"I usually am. I know for a fact I'm not wrong about this, but I can be wrong sometimes." I smile at him and he laughs.

"Yeah, sure. We're almost back to the house. You need to finish that water and get some sleep." He says and takes my house keys out of my jacket pocket as we get to the door.

He opens the door and leads me in and to my room after locking the front door behind us. "Change, drink the water and get some sleep, Beautiful. I'll see you in the morning." He leans down and kisses my forehead before leaving my room, closing the door behind him. I then change back into my pajamas and  finish the water off before going to sleep.

Author's Note:

I wrote this all in one night because I couldn't sleep because I'm not really feeling well. I am so sorry it took so long. Here is the update y'all have been wanting, as usual please let me know in the comments if I made any grammatical errors because I was delirious from lack of sleep while writing and proofreading. The song is a song I've been listening to repeatedly recently and it makes me cry every time I hear it.
Sorry the chapter isn't very long this time.