14 - This is the Part Where You Run

"We should stop."

   "Why? Am I boring you?"

   "No, no. It's just... you've got class, and Waverly could be back soon." 

   Eleanor watched the girl in front of her roll her eyes, seeming unfazed by the idea of being late for her next class, or the idea of Eleanor's roommate walking in. The Carter girl had a right to be worried, given the lecture she received from Waverly the last time she caught them. Over the past two years, Eleanor had learned Waverly was not afraid of voicing her opinion on things, even if it a matter in someone's personal life. 

   It was trait she'd clearly picked up off Ashton, who is known for not keeping quiet when he has a opinion on things. 

   "What? Scared she'll tell people you're sneaking around with the Dark Lord?" 

   She gave the brunette an eye roll of her own. "No, P. I'm scared of Josie finding out." The mention of the Saltzman girl made Penelope freeze for a moment, being caught off guard by the mention of her ex-girlfriend. "Lizzie would skin me alive." 

   "Will you relax? No one is going to find out." Penelope assured her, tucking one Eleanor's blonde strands behind her ear. She then pecked her lips against hers, and got up off the bed, tidying up her appearance. Within seconds, she was back in her pristine state. "Are you coming to the party later?"

   Eleanor sat up, hugging Miss Cuddles to her chest. "Party?" 

   "Yeah, down at the mill." Penelope nodded. "The seniors organised it. I think the entirety of the upper school are going." 

   She considered the idea for a moment. Parties weren't really Eleanor's thing, not lately. Unless MG dragged her along, she'd hide out alone in her room, watching shows on Netflix while eating junk food. It was a habit those around her were trying to break, though so far, they weren't having much success. 

   "I'll think about it." She answered, not meeting the Park girls eyes. 

   "Hmm." Penelope hummed knowingly, before opening the door to leave. She walked right into Waverly, who stood with her arms folded over her chest, looking between them with narrowed eyes. While Eleanor groaned and threw herself back on her bed, Penelope merely smiled at the Sloan girl, before brushing past her and walking away. "Bye El."

   The room was silent, and Eleanor glanced at Waverly, who's expression made it clear she was anything but happy. 

   Covering her face with a pillow, she let out a sigh. She knew exactly what was going to happen next. "Three, two, one..." 

   "Are you kidding me?!"

***********

   The word of a new student joining was going around the school like wildfire. Between lecturing her for her secret meetings with Penelope Park, Waverly had told her about it, as she was determined to drag the Carter girl outside to meet whoever it was. Knowing she wouldn't give up, Eleanor reluctantly agreed, and tied up her appearance. She straightened the school tie around her neck, and pulled a cardigan over her white blouse, which was tucked neatly into her skirt. She pulled up her white socks, that came up to her knees, and slipped on her combat boots. 

   Rules about uniform were rather relaxed at the school, and students made the most out of the options they had. After Waverly gave her the once over, helping tidy up anything the Carter girl missed, the two linked arms and made their way outside. Lizzie and Josie were already stood outside, with bright smiles plastered across their faces, as if butter wouldn't melt.