⟼ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 ⟼ 𝐣𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐝

Plugging my earphones in I drowned out the hysteria with the sound of The 1975. The coach was full with the sound of laughter, yelling and occasional outbursts of football chants. Considering it had just hit half-five in the morning everyone radiated bustling energy; whilst I still felt half asleep. 

Marcus swung into the seat next to me, dropping my bag onto the floor between his legs. Taking an earbud out of my ear he leant in close, "Why don't you join in? C'mon, it'll wake you up!". His grin spread from ear to ear, his cheeks round and his eyes squinting. He looked genuinely happy despite it being so early.

"I know none of the songs though... Look let me just rest for a bit then I'll come join you. Okay?" I stuck my earphone back in as he nodded before joining the rest of them at the back of the coach. A few cars drove lazily beside us, the drivers all looking tired-eyed and bored. Skies above were a dirty grey - clouds scattered above the coach in an unorganized fashion.  

Even though me and Marcus were best friends I was yet to meet his team-mates. He kept his work life and his personal life separate - he rarely spoke about them and I rarely asked about them. Yet I still knew of them due to the constant buzz about them in the news - they were, after all, playing for the England National Football Team. It was the same for me as well; if I ever got any portfolio work to do we would rarely discuss it, unless of course I needed his guidance or help. But even then we never really spoke about other people. It was an unsaid rule that we always abided. 

With my eyes fixated on the road beside us I felt the chair next to me dip. Assuming that it was Marcus again I ignored them till I was gently prodded on my shoulder. I was met by a pair of chocolate eyes, long eyelashes swept upwards towards his brows. Jesse Lingard.

"Marcus didn't mention he was bringing his girl," Jesse grinned. Before I could protest he held his palm up towards my face, "Chill. I know you're good friends, he's always on 'bout you."

"Sadly I can't say the same thing for you." I shot back, my mouth stretching into a small, smug smile. His head shook from side to side, left to right. His comment lingered in the back of mind. 'He's always on 'bout you'. 

"It was mentioned we were getting someone to come photograph and video us, never knew that it'd be someone we knew of. Here, take a photo of me like this," He stuck his two thumbs up, sticking his tongue out in a humorous way. Sighing I seized my camera bag from the side of me, undoing the zip before pulling it out, "Make sure this get's used in the spread or whatever you're doing."

I snapped the photo, the flash startling him a little. Mumbling an apology I turned the camera screen towards him, showing the focused photo I'd just took. He whispered something incoherent before excusing himself to join the rest of the boys. As he waltzed down the aisle I couldn't help but follow him, my whole body readjusting itself on the seat so that my pupils could burn into his back. 

Snapping back into reality I noticed how weird I looked staring at Jesse. Coughing to mask my embarrassment I motioned towards Marcus who was glancing at me with his head cocked in confusion. He shook his head whilst laughing to himself. Cheeks burning red I squirmed so that I was facing the front again, my eyes brows knitted together in uneasiness.

"So I see you've met Jesse," Marcus popped his head from behind me, startling me a little, "Left quite the impression didn't he?"

"You scared me! And no- I mean, he's nice but not like that!" I babbled, quietening down once I saw that I was making no sense whatsoever. I twiddled my thumbs, something I always did when I was nervous or shocked. 

Marcus rolled his eyes lightheartedly, "I'm only kidding! We've asked the driver to stop at the next service station so we can grab some breakfast. Want me to get you anything?" 

I pondered on the thought of being stuck in a McDonald's with a bunch of rowdy lads at six in the morning, "Nah, I'm gonna' try and get some shut-eye before you all come back on. Thanks for the offer though."

"You sure?" I nodded as Marcus waved at the boys to come towards the front of the bus. Peering out of the window I noticed we'd already pulled into the service station. He touched my shoulder lightly, "We won't be long."