6 | i still

When Byun Baekhyun woke up this morning, the world was the quietest it had been for a while now.

Shifting to lie on his back, the 31 year old remained sprawled on his bed for a good few minutes. With one hand lying flat on his torso and the other occupying the empty space next to him, he stared at the ceiling blankly, the red circle on his calendar in stark contrast with the white walls. It took him a long while, but Baekhyun eventually tore his gaze away from the ceiling and turned to look at the circled date.

Today.

He remembered, vividly, when he made that mark. It was one of those late nights when he returned home from a broadcast prerecording and checked his phone for the first time that busy night. There were 2 missed calls and 1 unread message.

With all the inside rumours and Heechul's continuous hinting, he should've gotten the memo.

Yet, Baekhyun had stood there, rooted at the same spot for a long, long while, before he closed the chat with slightly trembling fingers. He'd decided, since years ago, that he'd be happy for her no matter what happens.

And so, he'd picked up the first marker he saw and walked over to his desk calendar, drew a nearly perfect circle on the date embedded in his mind.

The next day, he finally returned the call.

"Hey." He greeted, sitting cross-legged on the couch in his living room. The TV was on, but he kept his gaze trained on the glass windows, at the city outside. It was pretty late already, and he had hoped she's still the night owl he knew. "Sorry I couldn't answer your call yesterday, was kind of cooped up with work."

"It's fine, Baekhyun." He could hear the smile in her voice. "Did you... manage to see my message, though?"

Perhaps it was a futile attempt, given how she saw through him every single time, but he tried anyway. "Of course. Congratulations! I'm really happy for you."

And as her close friend, he really was.

To cover up any traces of hesitation, Baekhyun started rambling about how he cancelled his extremely important schedule for her special day, how his manager, a fan of hers, was whining to go as well but he didn't get an invitation, how he never imagined she'd get married to the guy she used to rant about to him. 

Taeyeon had laughed loudly and freely at his non-stop chatter, till the point where Baekhyun could picture her wiping the tears away from the corner of her eyes. Happy tears. He'd smiled warmly at the thought.

"Are you going to wear the red suit?" 

"Which one? The one I look ridiculous in? I don't want to stand out when it's your big day."