Chapter 16 (P2)

Chapter 16 (Part 2) - Confessions

Taking a step outside after dark was exhilarating, a sudden sense of energy coursing through my veins. I guess that was why my brother did this all the time, sneaking out to have fun with his friends. Everything was so secured today, it was like no one wanted you to enjoy your life. They wanted to keep you secluded.

I wasn't taking any of that, though. I had a mission and I had to do it. Yes, my mom calls Gene a bad influence, but ever since I've met him, I've felt so alive. After the death of my dad and brother, I wanted to avoid everyone. I couldn't control myself, yelling every time something small would happen. I was afraid that I would hurt someone because I was so out of it. Of course, it got better after a little bit, but it still lingered in my mind, sometimes to the point where I would wake up in a cold sweat.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped into the park, eyes scanning the environment around me. Although I knew that Gene was here and he wouldn't let anything happen to me, I couldn't help but be on edge. This was exactly how my brother died.

Feeling a breath on my neck, I quickly took action, swinging around with the bag I brought in hand, smacking the person with as much force as I could.

The guy clutched his cheek, letting out an agonized cry and a string of curse words. My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw Gene's face contorted in pain. After the shock subsided, I ran up next to him, carefully laying my hand over the one cradling his cheek.

"Oh my Irene! Are you okay, Gene?" I pressed, concern overwhelming me.

"That sure hurt, Little Dove," Gene chuckled, shaking his head, "Didn't know you could hit that hard."

Gently, I pried his hand away from his cheek, taking a look at the damage. Thankfully, we were under a light so I could actually see it instead of trying to squint to see the details. I took in a sharp breath, almost feeling the pain from just looking at it. There was already a bruise forming.

"I'm so so sorry," I pleaded, not letting go of his hand.

"I know how you can make it better."

Feeling really guilty, I nodded my head. "How?"

"Kiss me?"

My eyes shot up to his, cheeks beginning to burn. What was wrong with me? A few weeks ago I would have deadpanned and smacked him again just for saying that! Now, it was like he was making me melt from the inside out. "N-No!" 

Gene laughed at my embarrassment, squeezing my hand. I didn't know I was holding his hand! "I forgot. Little steps, right?" I narrowed my eyes at him, about to question his word choices before he interrupted me. "Here, I know the perfect place to go."

Gene pulled me along behind him, the grip on my hand soft, it was like he was being extra careful with me. Eventually, we ended up at a pond right off of the path. It was surrounded by trees but it had enough space to let the moonlight come through.

"Wow," I said, eyes drawn to the light coming from the moon, reflecting off of the clear water.

"Thought you would like it," Gene said, offering a sweet smile.

"Well, you were right," I responded, turning my attention back to him. If it wasn't for Gene breaking our eye contact and letting go of my hand, taking my bag, I don't think I would be able to take my eyes off him. 

Wait, what did I just say?

"What's in here?" Gene inquired, unzipping your bag to peek in it.

"O-Oh I brought some s-snacks and stuff," I resisted closing my eyes and cringing at the sound of my voice.