Living A Lie

I skipped down the hallway,happy for an excuse to go back to the living room. I opened the door quietly,about to greet when my mum began talking.

"So when are you gonna tell her about....this?"she asked with eyes blazing.

"If you mean tell her that her whole life has been a lie,that I'm her father,then truthfully I don't know. But what I do know is that this is not everyday news and it has to be broken to her with the utmost care. And I'll really appreciate it if you let me do that." the President said through gritted teeth.

"So till then you're gonna lie to her?" my mother asked with a derisive laugh.

"What have you been doing for the past fifteen years,Sara?" he asked softly.

My mum stood up quietly and I knew immediately that it would take just a little more,a little more to make her fly off the handle.

"Well then,the honor is all yours"she said with a smile.

A smile indeed,but if looks could kill ,from the look she was shooting him he would have been dead and fried up long,long ago. Long,long ago. Combined with my own hurt and fury,the man didn't stand a chance in hell. I thought of all the times I had asked my mum,or the woman I thought was my mum,about my father. How she would stare at me,dumbfounded,and then look away. How she would shoo me off to go and play. How I would go to bed everynight crying because my classmates would tease me mercilessly about not having a father. How I would go to bed everynight crying because my classmates would tease me mercilessly about not having a father. How I learned to fade into the back ground because I couldn't stand being picked on any more. How I had grown up alone,with no true friends simply because I didn't have a father. Yet there he stood in full glory,calmly askimg my mum what she had been doing for the past fifteen years. Where had he been for the past fifteen years?

I held back my tears,very unsuccessfully I might add,and stepped into the living room.

"Yes,Dad," I spat out the word with venom"the honor is all yours."

Every single person in the room,including the First Lady who had been watching them speculatively,turned around to look at me in shock.I now understood the weird resemblance between the First Lady and I. Kia mia... now I knew where I remembered that from. My blurry childhood.

"Speechless?Quite surprising really,since you were so determined to tell me yourself. Naturally,I assumed you had sonething to say."I said,the words dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh,what happened?Cat got your tongue?"

I knew I was being incredibly rude but I was on a roll and I couldn't stop myself.

"Kia mia"the First Lady said in a broken voice.

"Don't call me that!Don't you dare call me that.If I were yours,would you have given me away?Would we be having this discussion?"

The tears were now streaming freely down my face. She was crying too , but I couldn't give a damn.

My mum pulled me into her arms as I sobbed.

"Shh...shh...shhh,baby,it's gonna be okay."

I pushed her away. I could see the hurt on her face and I knew she didn't deserveto be the obje ct of my hurt and anger. She had treated me like I was her real daughter. But still,she had lied to me.

"It's not gonna be okay. Don't lie to me. But then,there's no big deal is there?It's just one more lie added to the ones you've told me all my life."

She looked like she had been slapped.That was exactly how I felt.

Have a taste of your own medicine.

"Kiara..." she said as if she didn't believe I had just said that.

I fixed her with a stony gaze,refusing to apologize.

"Y'all know what?I'm outta here."

"Kiara"I heard Edwards deep voice say as I neared the door"come back here."

I turned around,arched an eyebrowand returned.

"Sit."

"Playing the daddy role,already?"

He ignored me but not without little effort.

"Kia,look,this was not the way I wanted you to find out.It hurts you I know,and you feel very uncertain,I understand.But you understand that nobody likes this. Do you think its easy for us? Do you think we are not hurting too?Do you think we wanted our lives to end up like this?"

He choked on the last word and I looked up to see tears threatening to fall from his eyes.He swallowed and blinked them back.

"Kia,life has been incredibly hard since we lost you.I felt so bad knowing that I had a daughter out there and I didn't know where she was living,how she was living,if she was living.Kia,it's been torture."

"Your choice,not mine"I said as I ran out of the living room.

The last thing I saw was a lone tear slipping down his face.

***********************************

A/N:I'll be really grateful for a cover photo.Dont forget to hit that vote button.

This is my first book ever so I want to see how this will turn out. It may be a little boring now but don't wory, things will get better

So,comment,vote or follow? Pretty pwease?:-) Make my day