Chapter 33 📷 Mixed Emotions

Milo's eyes weren't leaving mine as he held a finger to the tv. I bit my thumbnail, trying to find the right words. My poor fiance's tan skin had taken on a greenish undertone. I was given more time to think when his phone rang again and he took off back to his old office, shutting the door.  Shamefully, I didn't think much. I ran to the bedroom and slid on a pair of his sweatpants and my opened toed heels then grabbed my purse. Since my darkest secrets had come to light, I didn't have a problem telling Milo things, but this was proving to be a challenge that I couldn't face right then. Seeing the door was still shut, I took off down the hall and out the door.

The minute I cleared the lobby doors, I was surrounded by flashing lights, microphones and reporters. Desperately trying to escape, I turned around, struggling to push through the group, but I was stuck. The Paparazzi began their prying.

"Miss Carter, what did the test say?"

"How long have you been sleeping with your boss?"

"Is it true you're getting married?!"

"What can you tell us about your relationship?"

The effects of the stress and not eating since breakfast had kicked in. My head spun, my stomach flipped and a hot flash hit me, making me feel like a roasted chicken. Then I couldn't breathe, something about the crowd set me into a full blown panic attack. Clutching my chest, I lowered myself to the ground. They were shameless, continuing to snap their candids. My entire body was tingling with my current state. It felt like I had drank three pots of coffee.

When a familiar voice cut through my panic, I looked up and saw Archie shoving reporters out of his way. He scooped me into his arms and whispered in my ear.

"Keep your head down." I gave him a subtle nod, still battling hard to get some air into my lungs. He ignored the reporters as he backed into the building. I heard Milo barking orders at the doorman, telling him to call the normal security team. Archie set me on a bench in the lobby, but I was so hot that I crawled into the floor and bent onto my knees, resting my head on the cold tile. I didn't even care about how many dirty shoes had trampled all over it. I just needed to cool off.

"Does she do this often? " Archie asked, moving out of Milo's way.

"No! It's just been a really hard day! Thanks for the help, but you can go now."

After a moment of quiet and back rubs, I was able to breathe again. Milo helped me get back on the bench and waited for me to speak. I looked at Archie, who was watching me amusingly.

"What's so funny?" I asked, feeling pretty damn irritated.

"It just feels like justice."

"God, Archie, stop being a dick!" Milo huffed

I knew that he was only trying to lighten my mood, but it still pissed me off. I hit him for acting like an asshole. The press was on me because of a grudge-holding jerk. I shook my head and stomped to the elevator. I wasn't waiting around while he and Milo fought like children. I had seen enough fighting. Honestly, I had just had enough of people all around. It was after midnight and I was hungry, beyond exhausted and had to be up early to get to my appointment. I looked in Milo's fridge, prepared for the fact he didn't have anything but booze, sodas, and old restaurant leftovers.

Boy, did he have an entirely new world to learn? If he was going to have Elijah, he needed to learn kids don't like duck and lobster. They want chicken nuggets and corndogs. I was definitely going to have to take him to the store. Not that it would matter in the end, he would more than likely hire someone to do his shopping. I gave up trying to eat.

I kicked off my shoes and pants before crawling in bed. I cuddle my pillow, pulling the black and grey satin comforter above my head. It wasn't too long after that, I heard Milo come into the bedroom. Like every night, he took a shower, brushed his teeth and put on a clean pair of briefs, then slipped in the bed. When I scooted away from him, he laughed. I was really hungry and all I could think about was not having food.