Chapter 7 ~ Morgan, Arthur Morgan

" Getting warm enough? " he asked out of the blue.

You hugged your legs harder against your chest, eyeing the flames still.

" Like if you care, " you answered back with a hint of mean tone in your voice, but didn't get any response in return, he either heard that or not but ignored, however, seeing a squared pattern fabric blocking your sight. He was reaching you a blanket that you gladly accepted, wrapping it around your shoulders while you caught him searching through his leather satchel and picks out of what it seemed to be a piece of cloth, unfolding it and there it was a half-eaten dry sausage as he slits it in half, insisting one piece to you. Watching him with doubts first, but grabbed it out of his hand, munching it in one go.

" I bet Colm rather tortures than feed his captives, " he let out another silly joke while chewing at his piece.

The atmosphere became quiet after his last sentence and lasted for a good while. You could hear the crickets chirping and owls hooting somewhere around the environment. Finally, the temperature in your body is raising, feeling warm and comfy which you longed for. Back there at the base camp, you were nearly giving up the hope to see a campfire ever again, but here you are, not alone of course. Should you be grateful for the help? a part of you was saying yes while the other was the slightest frustrated for the thought behind the rescue which bothered you madly, therefore, you decided to stay muted, accepting the fact that you're unscathed and safe.

" See? this wasn't bad at all, " he uttered, " at least you're breathing, that's all that matters. " Removing the same rifle you used earlier on his lap and examines it. You peeked at him in between.

" You did a fine job out there I must admit, " aiming his focus at you now, and you rapidly stared back into the fire to avoid his gaze. What now? was he trying to sweep his bad behavior under the carpet and act kindly? you couldn't read this man properly, he was mysterious indeed.

" I'm glad Colm is out of the picture, " you said normally, " it's like someone has extinguished the burning flame of revenge inside me. He's been ... "   

" Abusive and cruel? " he interrupted.

" Yes ... " rubbing your palms near the fire.

He puts the gun away and moves closer to you, resting his arm on the bent knee with the head pointing down and hat covering the face partly.

" Listen, I er ... I'm not really good at being supportive, but I'm sorry to hear the hell you've been going through and experienced, it mustn't have been easy. "   

You scoffed and shook your head in despair.

" Certainly not ... "

An awkward moment of silence occurred once more, then he cleared his throat and leaned his head back up in the air. You remarked his gestures, shooting a quick look at him while he was staring straight up in the pitch dark sky.

" Look, have you ever witnessed something so fascinating before? "

You moved your orbs away from him aiming for the billion dots, that was shining brightly on the base layer of blackness, spreading across the whole sky, making an outstanding contrast that would capture everyone's eyes whoever would be here in your place. It was breathtaking indeed.

" No I haven't ... " you answered amazed. The stars and its delighted way of twinkling washed away your frustration over him.

" Imagine something so beautiful being near, but yet so far and out of reach from you, " looking at you whilst he spoke up the words.