Chapter 12

“Vait, Iceland! Let me explain!”
    “Explain what?” Emil snapped. He stopped halfway down Denmark’s driveway and whirled around to face him. Norway could barely see his face in the dark, but he didn’t have to see to know he was angry.
    “Explain… explain…” Norway scrambled, holding his empty hands out toward him. But Iceland shied away.
    “Stay away from me!” he exclaimed, turning and walking away again.
    “Brother, please—“
    “Don’t call me that!”
    Norway froze. Iceland whirled around to face him again once he reached the end of the driveway.
    “I thought we were supposed to be a family,” he said, pointing at Denmark’s house, where Denmark, Sweden, and Finland were probably still staring at each other blankly. “You’re always insisting that we’re brothers, but would brothers lie to each other?”
    “Ehhh… Maybe?” Norway exclaimed, scratching the back of his neck.
    “Not about something like magic!” Iceland yelled. “Why did you ever think keeping something like that a secret would be a good idea?!”
    “I— I haven’t— I didn’t—“
    “No, enough, Norway,” Iceland said, holding up his hands.
    “Iceland, please—“
    “No, I said enough!” Iceland exclaimed, glaring at him viciously. “We’re done here. I’m leaving, and don’t you dare try to stop me. I don’t want to have anything to do with you!”
    And then he turned and walked away.

*・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・

    Norway woke up, his chest tight with emotional pain.
    He remembered that day well. It felt like it was only yesterday. And three days after that night, on February 25th, 1944, Iceland had convinced his bosses to discontinue their union.
    Norway shook his head and sat up, rubbing his eyes and trying to relax.
    “And you’ve been alone ever since.
    Norway sighed.
    “Leave me alone, Snap,” he growled.
    “You won’t be rid of me that easily,” the ghost taunted. “It’s a pity, though, really. You and Iceland were so close before that…
    “Shut up!” Norway exclaimed. And then his alarm went off. He pressed the off button with force and stood up, marching to his closet.
    “You’ve always been alone, haven’t you? Magic has always kept everyone away… or made them leave you. Not even your own brother would stay once he found out.
    “It’s not that surprising,” he grumbled. “He was raised by Aud, who believed…” He didn’t finish.
    “Who believed you were demonic.
    “But I’m not,” he said, throwing open his closet.
    “Aren’t you?
    Norway hesitated.
    “I didn’t ask you to come and stay in my head,” he snapped.
    “But there’s nothing you can do to get me out,” the ghost mocked. “And there’s no one who you can turn to for help. Do you know what that means? You might know all about me, Norway, but eventually, I will break you. I promise.
    “Get out!” Norway screamed, holding his hands over his ears.
    And the ghost was silent.

*

    Norway stared at his phone contacts. He had downed his entire coffee in one, long drink and his hands were shaking slightly as he stared at the bright screen.
    He wasn’t sure the shaking was just from the caffeine overload, though.
    He adjusted his barrette as he scrolled through the list of names with his other hand. He had the contact information of every country, state, and province in the known world, and he was determined to prove his ghost wrong.
    There had to be someone out there who he could talk to. Someone who cared.
    But as he scrolled through the list, that faint hope was getting smaller and smaller. He thought about telling Finland, but he would probably just panic and tell Sweden and Denmark. And that was the last thing he wanted. But who else could he possibly trust enough to tell about his Snap?
    And then he saw Iceland’s name at the top of the list: Emil Steilsson.
    Before he could think it through, Norway clicked the contact and held his phone up to his ear. It rang once. Twice. Three times.
    He wasn’t sure how Iceland would react if he told him. Would he care? Did he even know about Snapping?
    “Hullo?”
    “H-Hei,” Norway said, trying to swallow the lump in his throat, “it’s Lukas.”
    “Norway?” Iceland said, his voice sounding suspicious.
    “Ja. Hei.”
    “Hi… uh, did you need something?”
    Norway hesitated.
    “I yust vanted to talk to you. It’s been awhile, you know…”
    There was only silence on the other end.
    “How are things?” Norway prompted, hoping that maybe he’d find the courage to tell him after they’d talked for a bit.
    “Good… nothing new,” Iceland said, unenthusiastically.
    “Vell, no news is good news, ja?” Norway said.
    “Is something wrong, Norway?”
    Norway was quiet for a second, tapping his fingers on the table. It was now or never.
    “No…” he whispered, grimacing.
    “Then listen— I’m not a child anymore. I don’t need you checking up on me all the time. I can take care of myself.”
    “That— that wasn’t my intention! I yust—“
    “Goodbye, Norway.”
    And then he hung up. Norway sighed and lowered the device from his ear.
    “He’s right, isn’t he?” he whispered, staring down at his phone. He blinked and saw the ghost smiling at him for a split second.  “I am alone.”
    “Hey.”
    He looked up. Mary smiled at him.
    “Can I sit with you again?”
    Norway almost smiled.
    Or maybe not.
    “Ja.”

*

    Norway walked up the stairs of the apartment he lived in. He was surprised at his own apathy. That had to have been one of the worst days of class that term, yet he couldn’t have cared less.
    “It’s better than being angry, at least,” Norway murmured as he walked down the hall. He finally reached his complex, and sighed with relief, glad to be home. But then he stopped.
    The door was ajar.
    “I could’ve sworn I…” but then he paused. He sniffed the air, and a feeling of dread settled in the pit of his stomach.
    “By Odin’s beard, if he’s here…” Norway growled, throwing open the door and marching in.
    “You’ll throttle him. You’ll choke him out. Maybe you’ll do away with the bully for good.
    Norway didn’t reprimand the ghost as he stormed into his apartment.
    He checked the kitchen, and sure enough, there was an empty bottle of beer on the counter, but no sign of the drunk who had left it there. Norway left his coat and satchel on the table in the kitchen and then, cracking his knuckles, turned to go out into the living room.    He walked in and there, stretched out on his couch, was the country he had expected.
    Denmark lay in a drunken sleep, one arm extended above his head and the other falling off the couch. Norway walked over to him, crossing his arms across his chest and trying to keep his cool. But as soon as he saw Denmark’s peaceful face and the drool dribbling from the corner of his mouth, Norway cracked.
    “Get up, you dim-vit!” he yelled, kicking the arm that was near the ground.
    “Wha—?” Denmark startled awake and then rolled off the couch with a short cry.
    “Ouch,” he said as he pushed himself off the floor and rubbed his forehead with one hand.
    “Care to explain vhat you’re doing here?” Norway growled. “And how you got in?”
    Denmark lifted himself back up onto the couch, looking sheepish, but Norway knew better.
    “Hey, broder, how are you?” he said, stretching. “I’ve been waiting for you all morning! Where’ve you been?”
    “I’m not in the mood, Denmark. Now answer the questions!” Norway snapped. Denmark dropped his arms to his sides.
    “I came because I heard about your beef problem,” he said a grin stretching across his face, “And I—“
    “Vhat does that have to do vith you?”
    “Let me finish, Norway,” Denmark whined, his smile faltering slightly. “I came to tell you that I have plenty of cattle, and I checked with my bosses and I can afford to send you some if you want! I mean, I have so many cows that I could give away half of them and still be woken up by all the mooing I hear in the morning. I think…”
    Denmark’s voice was drowned out by the ghost’s.
    “Why would he help you unless there’s something in it for him?
    Norway’s eyes narrowed.
    You’re right for once.
    “Shut up,” Norway growled. Denmark looked at him in surprise. His face immediately went sheepish again and the country grasped his hands together in a nervous manner.
    “B-but I want to help,” he said, weakly.
    “Since vhen have you vanted to help me?” he retorted. Denmark stood up, abruptly, staring down at him. Norway tensed, clenching his hands into fists, ready to defend himself in necessary.
    “For the past couple of decades, if you haven’t noticed!” Denmark exclaimed, running his hands through his wild hair. “I’ve been trying to make up for… for…!”
    “You can’t even say it!” Norway said. Denmark blinked twice, dropping his hands to his side.
    “You can’t even say outloud vhat you did to me, can you?” Norway yelled again, his heart pounding. Memories began to deluge his sense, but stopped when Denmark replied.
    “Norway, listen, I—“
    “You said you had cattle to give me, if I vanted. Vell, I don’t vant any of your cattle, thank you. Have a nice day.” Norway pointed toward the door. Denmark’s mouth fell open.
    “What? They’re perfectly good cows!” Denmark stammered in confusion. “Do you think I—?”
    “I’m not kidding, Denmark,” Norway growled. “Leave now before I do something ve’ll both regret.”
    Denmark turned and quickly walked toward the door and Norway followed. He stepped into the kitchen as they passed by and grabbing the beer bottle.
    “Here, take this with you,” Norway snapped forcefully, throwing the bottle at Denmark when he turned around to look back. The Dane was barely able to catch it before it hit the ground. And then Denmark took a deep breath, closing his eyes. When he opened them, his light blue eyes looked sad.
    “I really just want to help, Norway,” he said, fiddling with the bottle.
    “No he doesn’t. He’s a swindler. He’s a cheat. He’s only ever taken advantage of you.
    Ja. But never again.
    “Goodbye, Denmark,” Norway said, grabbing the door knob. But then he paused. “But… answer me this before you go,” he cocked his head to the side. “How did you get in?”
    Denmark was silent for a long moment, and Norway’s frowned deepened.
    “Iceland gave me his key,” Denmark finally replied, looking down at the ground.
    Norway stared at him for a long moment.
    And then he slammed the door as hard as he could, yelling angrily.